Measurement of transmission fluid in kj 2007 with engine oil dipstick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Hello,

As I already read the kj does not have a transmission dipstick.

After a blown tube where I lost a big amount of transmission fluid, I am trying to find a way of measuring the correct amount that has to be refilled.
Background:
- automatic transmission, liberty sport 2007.
- Living in El Salvador, here is no oficial jeep dealer existent.

Idea: I did insert the engine I'll dipstick and it showed a transmission fluid level existant.
I leveled the jeep, put it in N and let it run for ten minutes and measured the ****** fluid level again.
I have a measurement but no comparison if that level is good or bad.

Could someone measure the level of his transmission fluid with his engine I'll dipstick and tell me the level he has?

This would give an estimation if the level is correct.

Maybe this could then also be a solution for others.

Greets from el salvador, peter

Lancer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 545 auto trans does have a dipstick. If yours is missing, I'd get one from Moparonline or perhaps Rockauto.

[email protected]

Reaction score
I just found out that the DORMAN dipstick has a length listed of 50,83 inch, being 129 cm.
At the End, the dipstick has marks, from 0 - 120.
- I assume these marks will be mm, correct?

- Can someone assure that the length of the stick entering the ****** fluid tube is really 129 cm? I am unsure if the 129 cm are maybe related to the complete stick including the handle.

In this case I could measure how long the engine oil dipstick is, and then use the graph from dorman for the measurement,

Or am I missing something?

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally I'd try to find the correct dipstick because it bottoms out correctly.

My commander has the Mercedes transmission with no dipstick, I bought one of the Mercedes universal looking dipsticks. This has a springy body and plastic measuring stick. Problem I found is it would easily bend as it hit the pan instead of giving a positive feel, what I did was measure and mark a few times when it felt like it first touched the bottom of the pan, then found a write up from another jeep owner with the Mercedes nag1 trans and compared their depth measurement to mine, eventually I got a system down. Got good hot and cold measurements now.

Technically you can use any thing long enough like a long plastic tie and mark it off or mark off a plank of wood or section of the fender in the engine bay to measure it against. Honestly a proper dipstick meant for it is so much easier.

Alternatively if you know how many quarts go back you can depending on which pan your jeep has open drain bolt or drop the pan to drain it and refill it with the proper number of quarts, but this only works out if there is an exact number to refill if it like 4 quarts plus a little you'll still need a way to measure.

If you make your own or adapt a universal Mercedes kind of measuring stick be careful getting the feel for when it first touches the pan. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

blackhawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Salvador guy! Greetings from Venezuela.
I will tell what level is shown on my oil dipstick but Do you want it on P or N ??

[email protected]

Reaction score
Hi conondrum, thats a good point, I recognized that sonstiges zur fluid spreadson the engine dipstick.

I guess on a long term I will order one, but for a fast solution the level with the engine dipstick would be good to not ruin the transmission as I'm still driving the car, and I assume ordering one from the US will take a month.

kage860

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 07 too and I believe my aftermarket dipstick is the dorman. I check it after startup against that level/temp chart and its close enough for my needs. No scanner used for temp or anything like the manual says. The old fashioned cold/hot dipsticks dont need a scanner... we're not building a space shuttle here.

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the trans tube is a differnt length but the pan is the same. buy a 2006 dip stick to check or the Miller special tool and make some estimates on temperature of trans fluid.

LTT on lost used to 3D print dip stick extensions for his 2007 and even PML recast their trans pan so the dipstick would hit the same depth as stock.

blackhawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have just measured with the oil dip stick of my KJ 2007 in P Well, almost all the dip stick was wet with the oil, but exactly the thicker wet zone was around the SAFE part.

My level of trans fluid is around 0.5 liter less than it should be. Hope this helps!

[email protected]

Reaction score
Thanks this helps a lot. So I assume that the correct level should maybe be at the upper end of the safe zone. From what is heard it is worse to have more fluid than to less fluid.
I will remeasure mine today.

Maybe someone else could also double check this to be sure.