May need new rad cap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eradicator006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the past severals months my 2005 Liberty has been making a random farting noise that is coming from the front right area. It seems to happen the most when turning left. Once the noise is made it usually won't happen again for a while. The noise has happened when the jeep was sitting parked with no key in the ignition.

I found a thread saying that changing the rad cap can fix this. I believe the original OEM cap is still on mine. Now my question; is it better to get a rad cap from the deal or will any part store one work? Obviously I need the correct pressure rating.

Thanks.

lejeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently got a cap from Auto Zone, and it's working fine. I just asked for one suitable for my Liberty. They had caps around $5-$10. I'd recommend a locking cap that can release cooling system pressure so that you can open the cap without waiting for the engine to cool.

I'm sort of perplexed by your issue, but I hope a new cap fixes it for you.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Took care of the random farting sound on mine,
make sure you get the correct pressure cap, not all are the same
NAPA or somewhere besides the car wax parts stores

lejeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That might be what I bought, assuming it's the correct pressure. Also, +1 on NAPA if you can.

EDIT: Mine is 18 lbs.

Last edited:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Random, and sorry to thread jack...but why do I not have the classic silver rad cap? I have this little black plastic thing:

You must be registered for see images attach

Or am I just missing it? Is it under something...?

I only ask because I want to check my fluid. I know it's low, but I also want to make sure HOAT is in it (red...right?).

My overflow has a cap...but doesn't seem like coolant is making it to the overflow, hence I know it's low. :(

Last edited:

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Random, and sorry to thread jack...but why do I not have the classic silver rad cap? I have this little black plastic thing:

You must be registered for see images attach

I only ask because I want to check my fluid. I know it's low, but I also want to make sure HOAT is in it (red...right?).

My overflow has a cap...but doesn't seem like coolant is making it to the overflow, hence I know it's low. :(

Isn't that the AC line?

eradicator006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That might be what I bought, assuming it's the correct pressure. Also, +1 on NAPA if you can.

EDIT: Mine is 18 lbs.

Yours is 18? All of the info I have found all say 16. Even the napa site said 16. Napa doesn't have one in stock so I'll just go with the motorad one.

lejeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yours is 18? All of the info I have found all say 16. Even the napa site said 16. Napa doesn't have one in stock so I'll just go with the motorad one.

Mine is a 2007, so it's possible that yours is different. My OEM cap says 18. If yours says 16 on the OEM cap, then you should stick with that.

SiRRuS

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thats the AC not the RAD :)

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So then we DON'T have a rad cap then? I know where the reservoir is. (How can you miss it... -__-)
Technically the '02-'06 KJ's do not have a radiator cap since it's on a expansion/recovery tank and not the radiator itself and is a 100% sealed system.In '07 the cap went back on the radiator leaving the recovery tank(no longer a expansion tank) un-pressurized.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Technically the '02-'06 KJ's do not have a radiator cap since it's on a expansion/recovery tank and not the radiator itself and is a 100% sealed system.In '07 the cap went back on the radiator leaving the recovery tank(no longer a expansion tank) un-pressurized.

Ah I see! And a perfect answer to my question. Thank you very much! :)

gadaddy

Reaction score
Oops. Looks like you're right (hose says A/C, I assume that spot is for recharge of the system). So that mystery solved, where is my rad cap...? Am I really this blind?
If you've already found it, sorry for being redundant but when facing the engine from the front, look to the left, all the way back on the firewall. The large plastic recovery bottle should have a pressurized cap on it like you are used to seeing.

Attachments

• IMG_1620[1].jpg
    IMG_1620[1].jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 10

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you've already found it, sorry for being redundant but when facing the engine from the front, look to the left, all the way back on the firewall. The large plastic recovery bottle should have a pressurized cap on it like you are used to seeing.

Problem is that's not what I was looking for. As answered above, technically 02-06 KJs do not have a Radiator cap, only an overflow tank cap (as you pictured).

Thank you very much for the response though! I really appreciate it!

LetFreedomRing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was doing the same thing. Ever since getting a cap from rockauto, I have not heard the "farting" noise. I believe I got the 16 lb one.