loud "hummig" & "rumbling" noises

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

arielflash

Reaction score
Hi,
Ever since i got my libby there is a pretty loud humming sound when as speed goes up - some people say it sounds like a bad bearing (which one??)...
Already replaced tires, both front hub assemblies, passenger side CV, front and rear driveshafts reman... whats the next thing i should check ?

Also, theres a noticeable "rumbling" noise sounds like coming from front starting at ~25-30 mph... sounds like its coming right behind the dashboard but I couldn't see any loose parts inside when taking the radio off and having a look... any thoughts ??

I can also feel some vibrations going ~50+ mph (event after having both rear & front shafts remanned) - not sure if its related to any of the other noises...

Isn't there a proper way to locate where exactly noises are coming from? :\

Thanks !

Last edited:

Lancer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
loud "hummig" & "rumbling" noises

The only way is to drive it with someone else with you, who can move around inside the vehicle to localise the sound's origin. That person should be a mechanic, so that they are in with a chance of correctly identifying the problem.

Just to be a pain, could be that the pinion in the diff is on its way out. When mine started going a couple of years ago in Germany, it made what I described as a low howling as I accelerated and remained at a low level as I drove. It was diagnosed by a very good Jeep mechanic in Wurzburg who climbed around inside as I drove in the manner described above. Cost me £2000 to get rebuilt when we got back to England.

Last edited: