Loose Steering. Which Parts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LaneOK

Reaction score
Wife's daily driver (a 2006) has 197k on it. We've owned it since 125k. It's time for tires again, steering has loosened up a bit. I plan on getting it aligned but I'd like to replace whatever needs replacing first.

What steering parts usually allow the most play? What's the best way to go about checking them?

Tie rod inners and/or outers? Lower/Upper ball joints? Do I need to replace the entire control arm?

I'd like to keep this as low cost as possible, this liberty will probably be around for another year and a half.

Thanks for all your input, I reference this forum quite often.

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the inner/outer tie rods like you already stated. The bushings on the steering rack will most likely need to be changed if the rack is still in good working condition. Beyond those, the only thing left I can think to change would be the steering rack but I'd leave that for last until it's absolutely necessary. Upper ball joints you just replace the entire A-arm if you're keeping things stock. Lower ball joints can either be the sealed units or the greasable ones that most of us use that have the grease zerk on the side of the ball joint.

LaneOK

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I haven't done any serious maintenance to a rack and pinion system. Only my 2003 silverado. I was not aware that I needed to check the bushings on the steering rack, they looked fine though.

I had some time to crawl under it and look at things while my wife turned the steering wheel.

I felt a click on the driver side inner tie rod. Both lower ball joint boots are torn.

Will I be okay replacing only the lower ball joints and driver side inner tie rod?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah, nothing wrong with that if the other parts seem good still.