Go Back   Jeep Liberty Forum - JeepKJ Country > Jeep Liberty - KJ (02 to 07) > KJ General Discussion

KJ General Discussion

Front End Rabbit Hole, Tell me when to stop

This is a discussion on Front End Rabbit Hole, Tell me when to stop within the KJ General Discussion forums, part of the Jeep Liberty - KJ (02 to 07) category!
I was working on the brakes last night and noticed the issue with my front left brake vibration and warping ...

General discussion forum for KJ Liberty's

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2018, 09:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Whelan Send a message via MSN to Whelan Send a message via Yahoo to Whelan
Default Front End Rabbit Hole, Tell me when to stop

I was working on the brakes last night and noticed the issue with my front left brake vibration and warping was caused by a seized caliper pin. I tried heat and other methods to no avail so I will be adding a new caliper bracket and pin to the mix.

I noticed upon working on this side that the upper control arm BJ and the lower control arm BJ have busted boots with grease leaking around them. So from what I gather I need to replace the whole UCA but the LCA ball joint is part of the knuckle and can be removed and pressed in with the tool from Advance Auto without much hassle. This gets me thinking about things like sway bushings, sway bar links, etc. They all seem cheap enough to replace so why not just do it while I'm down there.

My question though is the right side, I checked the joints and all collars are still in good shape, no leaks or broken boots. Am I OK to just replace the whole LCA and UCA joint on the drivers side then do links and bushings both side and call it a day? I may sound cheap but with 180k on the clock I'd rather just fix what is needed at the moment. So thoughts and suggestions are welcome. Pics for reference

Whelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 09:24 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Whelan Send a message via MSN to Whelan Send a message via Yahoo to Whelan

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Whelan; 07-13-2018 at 09:51 AM.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:03 AM   #3 (permalink)

So I am getting parts from NAPA today,

Lower Ball Joint
Upper Control Arm (1)
Sway Bar Bushings
Caliper Bracket
Caliper Pins

Still would love any comments or insight as I embark on a new skill.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:54 AM   #4 (permalink)

"without much hassle" famous last words, I don't think ive ever done anything to my jeep that didn't end up being a hassle haha. Id say youre fine to do that, if it were me id just get them all done and out of the way while im at it.
nohitter64 and Myke like this.
jba top plates
extra rear iso , rear bilsteins
3ish ring clevis
MOABs> 255-70-16 toyos
mixed skids
krisP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:02 AM   #5 (permalink)

Originally Posted by krisP View Post
"without much hassle" famous last words, I don't think ive ever done anything to my jeep that didn't end up being a hassle haha. Id say youre fine to do that, if it were me id just get them all done and out of the way while im at it.
I was tempted to just do them all but the front left has really been a plagued problem for this car for years so I'm really eager to get that out of the way. The right is really solid by comparison.

And yes famous last words but I'll get the press tool from the store as well and have some fun doing a new task on the Jeep and adding to my skill set. I think I get more pumped to do this stuff when I realize what I would have to pay a shop to complete it.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

Originally Posted by Whelan View Post
I was tempted to just do them all but the front left has really been a plagued problem for this car for years so I'm really eager to get that out of the way. The right is really solid by comparison.

And yes famous last words but I'll get the press tool from the store as well and have some fun doing a new task on the Jeep and adding to my skill set. I think I get more pumped to do this stuff when I realize what I would have to pay a shop to complete it.
Get the additional cups too when you rent the tool. I know the ones included in the kit weren't the correct size and I had to mix and match.
  • '98 XJ Sport - 6" Full-Traction 4-Link Long Arm - Jeepspeed #2731 (Race Jeep)
Sponsored by UltRanger & CellTech
Myke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 03:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

Originally Posted by Myke View Post
Get the additional cups too when you rent the tool. I know the ones included in the kit weren't the correct size and I had to mix and match.
They didn't have additional cups. Hoping to get the oil and rear brakes done tonight so I can focus on the front left tomorrow.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

Don't forget to pack slider pins with fresh high temp ceramic grease, usually I stick some in the new rubber boot then slide boot in, then grease the pin and stick it in

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
RenKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 05:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

So I should fill the pin holes up with grease? I have the right stuff but was going to coat the pin and put a small glob at the entrance and slide it in.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

Gold Supporter/Admin

That'd be fine.
96 XJ Country
It's better to have a winch and need it than to not have a winch and not need it
HoosierJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote