Eisenhower Tunnel Dash Cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sometimes_I_Jeep

Reaction score
Was driving my '06 Liberty Sport back to Denver from the Eisenhower Tunnel this past Thanksgiving and this happened in front of me. Got new tires about 3 weeks before and new brake pads 2 weeks before.

Probably unnecessary to mention, but I'm glad that this video shows the speed limit sign, MY speed on the Dash Cam, how much distance I'm giving to the car in front of me and that I stopped from 47 to 0 in time to avoid collision.

Thank you ABS. PHEW!

https://youtu.be/7evdsmYVLVM

[YT]7evdsmYVLVM[/YT]

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Love that tunnel....been going to that area every year for decades!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
What video cam do you have and how is it mounted? Nice mountain scenery there!
Great that you had good brakes & tires & got away without a scratch.
Even though the speed sign says 65 the traffic luckily was going around 50.
Overall the cars are following way to close for those road conditions. What happened to the 4 second rule?
The red Honda decides to move over to the left lane now slowing, (not recognizing the danger) Inexperienced Bad drivers everywhere.
I am surprised she did not get a face full of air bag. She almost caused another accident while backing up after the collision.:Insane:

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you didn't get butt punched either.
And yea, that honda driver needs to have their license revoked for the quantity of stupid displayed overall.

boboborino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Come on Guys and Gals, yes several mistakes were made, however in a situation like that one becomes frantic and stops thinking clearly, all they want to do is get off the road. Adrenaline is running and embarrassment overcomes. Glad it wasn't worst for sure. Unless you've never, EVER done anything stupid in your driving history, I know I have (does that mean I should have my license revoked) cut a little slack. Again I am sure glad it was not worst.

Bert

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh i've had tank slappers and wound up looking the wrong way down an interstate. the difference being I didn't freak out, toss it in reverse and damn near get creamed for my troubles. hell the one time I did a pirouette on-road, I had time to take stock of the scenery (it was a slow spin) and I even realized "I can catch this in reverse"... which I did. drove backwards for about 3 seconds, flicked the wheel to initiate a continuation of the prior spin, then casually took my exit ramp. :D The look I got from a passing car was awe and amazement. The point is, DON'T PANIC.

Sometimes_I_Jeep

Reaction score
What video cam do you have and how is it mounted? Nice mountain scenery there!
Great that you had good brakes & tires & got away without a scratch.
Even though the speed sign says 65 the traffic luckily was going around 50.
Overall the cars are following way to close for those road conditions. What happened to the 4 second rule?
The red Honda decides to move over to the left lane now slowing, (not recognizing the danger) Inexperienced Bad drivers everywhere.
I am surprised she did not get a face full of air bag. She almost caused another accident while backing up after the collision.:Insane:

This is the Dash Cam I purchased:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0746BCFBF/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has both front and rear cams, mounted with a double sided 3M tape directly to the glass. It was pretty simple to install and feed the cable through the interior. It came with a few other parts that I really had no need for, like a "quick snapshot" button to be mounted on the dash. I bought my Liberty earlier this year and about a month after I bought it, I was rear-ended by a **** that was distracted on his phone while driving. So, I bought the dash cam as an "in case" option if I ever needed video evidence. I really like it. It has some cool options and I'm really glad I have it, again, just in case.

Sometimes_I_Jeep

Reaction score
Glad you didn't get butt punched either.
And yea, that honda driver needs to have their license revoked for the quantity of stupid displayed overall.

The dash cam has both front and rear cams. I reviewed the rear camera footage and you're absolutely right, I kinda got lucky I didn't get butt punched. There were a few cars behind me that had react to my stopping suddenly, but most of them were giving themselves sufficient space to stop or move to the shoulder to avoid me.

wycowboy

Reaction score
That's a gnarly hill even when dry. It's much steeper than the video makes it look. I'm glad you got stopped safely (I just got an 06 Liberty myself and love it!) and the people in the other car weren't hurt.

Sometimes_I_Jeep

Reaction score
Come on Guys and Gals, yes several mistakes were made, however in a situation like that one becomes frantic and stops thinking clearly, all they want to do is get off the road. Adrenaline is running and embarrassment overcomes. Glad it wasn't worst for sure. Unless you've never, EVER done anything stupid in your driving history, I know I have (does that mean I should have my license revoked) cut a little slack. Again I am sure glad it was not worst.

Bert

Bert, I agree with you. The Honda wasn't driving erratic or out of control leading up to this. Thinking back on it, what I recall is that she was trying to merge into the other lane so that she could pass the semi that was in front of her, she just unfortunately didn't give herself a good amount of space going into the other lane. By the time she got there, they all started to slow down and she ended up short. She also began to brake on a small portion of snow that hadn't melted or wasn't plowed fully, so I think that was the kicker to her initial impact. The rest was just aftermath to that.

To sum up, I don't think she needs to have her license revoked for something like this, it truly was a legit accident that could of been avoided had she been more cautious of her surroundings and conditions, but she certainly wasn't driving like a dumb-ass that deserved to be grounded.

Sometimes_I_Jeep

Reaction score
That's a gnarly hill even when dry. It's much steeper than the video makes it look. I'm glad you got stopped safely (I just got an 06 Liberty myself and love it!) and the people in the other car weren't hurt.

Couldn't agree more. It truly is a steep decline coming out of the tunnel. I recall the drive into the west side of the tunnel was bumper to bumper. Took me like 45-hour just to get to the tunnel from Silverthorne/Dillon. Mostly skier traffic returning to Denver from the weekend. And as you can imagine, as soon as we got to the tunnel, the traffic thinned out immediately.

wycowboy

Reaction score
Couldn't agree more. It truly is a steep decline coming out of the tunnel. I recall the drive into the west side of the tunnel was bumper to bumper. Took me like 45-hour just to get to the tunnel from Silverthorne/Dillon. Mostly skier traffic returning to Denver from the weekend. And as you can imagine, as soon as we got to the tunnel, the traffic thinned out immediately.

Traffic must have sucked then. Silverthorne to the tunnel is usually about 15-20 minutes. I know about that holiday skier traffic. Buncha ********* that think 4 wheel drive makes them invincible mostly.

Charlesthe2nd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Safe following distance is so important. A lot of drivers seem to not realize just how far you travel in such a short amount of time. For instance, at 60mph you travel a football field in just four seconds. I try to follow the 2, 4, 8 rule. 2 seconds <55mph, 4 seconds >55mph or if driving conditions are poor (eg nighttime, rain, snow, fog), and 8 seconds in very bad driving conditions or if you cannot see past the car in front of you. Gotta remember it's 4 wheels of go and only 2 of stop.

Sometimes_I_Jeep

Reaction score
Safe following distance is so important. A lot of drivers seem to not realize just how far you travel in such a short amount of time. For instance, at 60mph you travel a football field in just four seconds. I try to follow the 2, 4, 8 rule. 2 seconds <55mph, 4 seconds >55mph or if driving conditions are poor (eg nighttime, rain, snow, fog), and 8 seconds in very bad driving conditions or if you cannot see past the car in front of you. Gotta remember it's 4 wheels of go and only 2 of stop.

If there is to ever be a 4x4 bible, this would be a very famous passage in the book of Charles.

Charlesthe2nd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If there is to ever be a 4x4 bible, this would be a very famous passage in the book of Charles.

I'm honored to be included in the 4x4 bible. Really tho, this, or a similar iteration, should be in every DMV handbook.

People seem to think that their invincible inside the cage that is their car, but that is far from reality. A friend of mine from Jacksonville, FL just lost his mother due to a head-on collision.

Aztimer2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have driven that route many times. Awesome dash cam footage. Looks like everyone is ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Did you stop and exchange info with them?

Nice job on being on your toes!