Go Back   Jeep Liberty Forum - JeepKJ Country > Jeep Liberty - KJ (02 to 07) > KJ General Discussion

Register to remove these ads.

KJ General Discussion

4HI and Part Time not working?????

This is a discussion on 4HI and Part Time not working????? within the KJ General Discussion forums, part of the Jeep Liberty - KJ (02 to 07) category!
Register to remove these ads. It's free! I just got a 2005 CRD a month ago, and i had to ...

General discussion forum for KJ Liberty's

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By badkittystt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2012, 03:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 4HI and Part Time not working?????

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
I just got a 2005 CRD a month ago, and i had to use 4WD a few days ago and noticed that it wasnt working. After messing around with it for a while i figured out that 4LO works but Part Time and 4HI dont. Has anyone else experinced this and know whats wrong? I'm hoping its an easy fix...

Thanks!
nfac556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:23 AM   #2 (permalink)

What caused you to diagnose that it wasn't working? Noises? Grinding? Just not engaging? How do you know 4 part-time didn't engage while 4 LO did? Based on what you've told me, the flux capacitor can be the part that's broken...!

-OME927 springs/90009 shocks, 3/8 inches of top plate, conduits, and JBA UCAs in the front. JBA 4" springs/Monroe Load Levelers in the rear.
-LT265/70/16 Hankook Dynapro ATM, Load Range D2
-Magnaflow Muffler
-Sport 4x4 Hood Decal, Graphite Jeep Hood Emblem (Woo!)
-Altezza Tail Lights, all LED bulbs and load resistors, LED third tail light
-IRO UCA w/ Iron Forge Customs bracket
dude1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:08 AM   #3 (permalink)

Great Scott! Not the flux capacitor!
dude1116 likes this.

Kitty: Rock City Representative
Mr. Darcy Ninja Superstar: 2006 Liberty
badkittystt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

How do you know that 4HI (full time i assume) and part time don't work while 4LO does? I was having problems with my transfer case also. It would pop out of 4wd and into 2wd, mostly when stressed in 4LO but also in any 4WD mode. I could still run in "2LO" (front wheels wouldnt engage) or full time or part time just without front wheel power. I swapped out the transfer case because i found one cheap and needed a DD. When I take it apart I suspect I will find either a loose chain, worn teeth on a sprocket, or bent shift forks. I have the np242 select trac, not the np231.
2004 limited, ARB Bullbar, ome/bilsteins lift with top plate and 3 ring clevis, Engo 10000lb winch, U joint front driveshaft, LT 265/70s, Pink booster seat, Hella 700 lights up front, Rear Aussie locker, cb radio w/ 102" whip, gas tank and tc skids, custom cross bars, relocated washer bottle, jba ucas
trent.brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

Because i was in mud and the tires didnt spin!!!!!! it will work in 4LO but not the others, and i've tired it a couple times since. The front end wont even bind in 4HI.
nfac556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Originally Posted by nfac556 View Post
Because i was in mud and the tires didnt spin!!!!!! it will work in 4LO but not the others, and i've tired it a couple times since. The front end wont even bind in 4HI.
Your symptoms sound like the issues that led trent.brown to replace his transfer case.

A cheap attempt to try - change the fluid in the transfer case with ATF+4 (ONLY!!) and see if that helps. Inspect the old fluid for chunks of metal or shavings.

The previous owner may have run it in 4Hi on dry pavement and caused the driveline to bind - thereby breaking it.

Bob
  • JBA front coilovers, 948 OME Rears w/ Bilsteins, JBA Gen 4.5 A-arms
  • Moabs with 265/70-16 Goodyear Duratracs
TwoBobsKJ is offline   Reply With Quote