'07 KJ Tailgate won't shut.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JerseyJeep

Reaction score
Hello, everyone. I'm new to the forum and also a relatively new Jeep owner. I got mine last year (almost to the day now) and am experiencing my first problem.

As the title says, the tailgate door won't latch shut. It seems as though the latch is moving, but not locking in place. The glass closes fine and when I hit the lock/unlock buttons, it sounds as though everything is doing what it's supposed to be doing. Right now I have it shut with ratchet straps going around the spare tire apparatus and under the glass (again, this still shuts properly).

Any solutions or is the part just going to need to be replaced? Is this something I would be able to do on my own? Thanks in advance!

trent.brown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know you have already done it, but ensure there is nothing blocking the door from closing.

I would then check the latch to ensure that it is working properly by locking it around a small rod such as a pen or even your finger. It looks like a C and should open when you pull the handle. It will only close if you push it in the middle. It should be open when you shut the door.

Lastly if none of the above, I would ensure that the door wasn't bent and was aligning properly.

Latest posts

Members online