Upper control arm alternatives

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is written on the website that Rocky Road is suitable for 2002-2012.

KK's arms are asymmetrical.
Is Rocky Road also asymmetrical?

You have to make a choice on ordering if you want the KJ or KK arms.

I ordered the KJ specific arms. I dont recall if there was a left and right.

ikuo78

Reaction score
You have to make a choice on ordering if you want the KJ or KK arms.

I ordered the KJ specific arms. I dont recall if there was a left and right.
Thank you for your quick reply.

I missed the most obvious thing.
Since it is multiple choice, it seems that the two are not the same.

Jeremy-WI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was only one upper control arm for my 2006 KJ and it fit either side, I did a parts lookup on a 2011 and it showed 2 part numbers, so a right and left side

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
True, the JBA upper control arms for the KK are not interchangeable left to right.

ikuo78

Reaction score
Diverting KK's upper arm to KJ.
There was a post about someone doing this in the past,
I haven't seen anyone post that it's completed.

I thought it was a pretty interesting modification,
I wonder what happened.

bwood97

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Looking to replace the front upper control arms while doing my lift and was looking at the either the Mevotech TTX, Mevotech GK3198, or Moog RK3198.

Anyone have any comments or recommendations on the ones mentioned above?

I would get JBAs but the cost to import them here in Canada is ridiculous.

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
There's a new company I found just recently offering lifted UCAs for the Liberty (1-4 inches of lift), they do look like JBA knockoffs, removable/greasable ball joints and bushings, just like JBAs. I'm in Canada too so couldn't justify JBAs with the springs, shocks and other parts I ordered recently. The brand is "Deeke's" and look very similar to the JBAs. You can find them on American Amazon, but not Canadian. I just ordered a set tonight to try them out. They were $150USD, so about $200CAD, but there is a $15 coupon available on them right now to bring it down to $135USD. With shipping and all it worked out to about $250CAD for me. I was skeptical with that price point so low, it was cheaper than many OEM replacement sets, but I figure they are worth a try, with Amazon's good return policy. I did also see in the reviews that someone posted a photo of a Liberty suspension with the arms installed, and the angles looked very good for having a lift (spacer, not spring) with their suspension at full droop. I plan on installing them this weekend with my new OME springs and Rancho shocks upfront (had BDS springs in the rear already). I did a cheap lift mashed up with various parts 6 months ago, BDS springs in the back and a top plate and clevis lift on new OEM coilovers up front, sat at about 20.5" upfront when done, and 22" rear. The BDS springs have held up very well, but the front OEM springs have already sagged 1 inch in 6 months! So I finally bit the bullet and ordered some OME 927 springs and Rancho shocks for upfront, and then decided to try out these new Deeke's brand lift UCAs. I couldn't find any information on them on this forum, other than one post asking if anyone has tried them, and it appears no one on here has yet.

They do look exactly like the JBA arms at 1/3rd the price, I swear some Chinese manufacturer just bought a set of JBA arms, scanned them, and replicated then, right down to the removable ball joint design.

I don't quite expect them to be as high of quality as JBA arms, and I believe JBA offers a lifetime warranty vs the only 1 year on these, but I figure they are worth trying. Worst case I'll put the OEM arms back on if there is issues with alignment, but they make arms for Tacoma's and Cherokees as well and the reviews seemed good on them. I don't like that they appear to have stolen JBAs design, I would prefer to support the USA products, but I couldn't justify $800-1000CAD to order the JBA arms. They so appear to be near identical copies, but likely using lower quality metals, but if they last me a few years and help correct the angles, I'll be happy with them. They appear to be fairly good quality from the photos I've seen of them up close, the welds look pretty good honestly.

I'll try to remember to update everyone on here who might be curious about them after I get them installed this weekend.

Im attaching the screen shots of them. The one with them installed is on a KJ Liberty. Looks like a good fit actually. Some extra clearance too between the spring and UCA it looks like. You can see the aluminum spacer at the bottom of their coil spring in the photo as well.

I'm guessing part of the low price point is due to it being a new product, and the company maybe trying to break into the market. No idea where I would get the replacement ball joints though, outside of contacting the company directly, but I'm not entirely convinced this jeep will outlive a new set of ball joints anyway, assuming they're good quality. They should arrive on Thursday, pretty quick shipping from US Amazon to BC Canada, then I'll start pulling the front suspension apart Friday night, and should have it all back together and done Saturday.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240526-201229.png
    Screenshot_20240526-201229.png
    433.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20240526-202936.png
    Screenshot_20240526-202936.png
    628.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

bwood97

Reaction score
They've been mentioned on here before. I think we've just been waiting for a guinea pig and your it!;)
Judging by the photo I posted from a review of it from amazon on a KJ, they look like a good fit. Angles look good considering they're all full droop on jack stands. It'll be interesting to see how it goes at the tire shop after when I get the alignment done, that's when I'll actually find out how well they're made. Guess I am the guinea pig on these!
Looks like they have separate arms as well for KKs.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are probably chevy balljoints that fit 10-15 model years of half-ton pickups. Thats what they are for my RRO arms. My balljoints have over 10 years on them now.

derekj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a new company I found just recently offering lifted UCAs for the Liberty (1-4 inches of lift), they do look like JBA knockoffs, removable/greasable ball joints and bushings, just like JBAs. I'm in Canada too so couldn't justify JBAs with the springs, shocks and other parts I ordered recently. The brand is "Deeke's" and look very similar to the JBAs. You can find them on American Amazon, but not Canadian. I just ordered a set tonight to try them out. They were $150USD, so about $200CAD, but there is a $15 coupon available on them right now to bring it down to $135USD. With shipping and all it worked out to about $250CAD for me. I was skeptical with that price point so low, it was cheaper than many OEM replacement sets, but I figure they are worth a try, with Amazon's good return policy. I did also see in the reviews that someone posted a photo of a Liberty suspension with the arms installed, and the angles looked very good for having a lift (spacer, not spring) with their suspension at full droop. I plan on installing them this weekend with my new OME springs and Rancho shocks upfront (had BDS springs in the rear already). I did a cheap lift mashed up with various parts 6 months ago, BDS springs in the back and a top plate and clevis lift on new OEM coilovers up front, sat at about 20.5" upfront when done, and 22" rear. The BDS springs have held up very well, but the front OEM springs have already sagged 1 inch in 6 months! So I finally bit the bullet and ordered some OME 927 springs and Rancho shocks for upfront, and then decided to try out these new Deeke's brand lift UCAs. I couldn't find any information on them on this forum, other than one post asking if anyone has tried them, and it appears no one on here has yet.

They do look exactly like the JBA arms at 1/3rd the price, I swear some Chinese manufacturer just bought a set of JBA arms, scanned them, and replicated then, right down to the removable ball joint design.

I don't quite expect them to be as high of quality as JBA arms, and I believe JBA offers a lifetime warranty vs the only 1 year on these, but I figure they are worth trying. Worst case I'll put the OEM arms back on if there is issues with alignment, but they make arms for Tacoma's and Cherokees as well and the reviews seemed good on them. I don't like that they appear to have stolen JBAs design, I would prefer to support the USA products, but I couldn't justify $800-1000CAD to order the JBA arms. They so appear to be near identical copies, but likely using lower quality metals, but if they last me a few years and help correct the angles, I'll be happy with them. They appear to be fairly good quality from the photos I've seen of them up close, the welds look pretty good honestly.

I'll try to remember to update everyone on here who might be curious about them after I get them installed this weekend.

Im attaching the screen shots of them. The one with them installed is on a KJ Liberty. Looks like a good fit actually. Some extra clearance too between the spring and UCA it looks like. You can see the aluminum spacer at the bottom of their coil spring in the photo as well.

I'm guessing part of the low price point is due to it being a new product, and the company maybe trying to break into the market. No idea where I would get the replacement ball joints though, outside of contacting the company directly, but I'm not entirely convinced this jeep will outlive a new set of ball joints anyway, assuming they're good quality. They should arrive on Thursday, pretty quick shipping from US Amazon to BC Canada, then I'll start pulling the front suspension apart Friday night, and should have it all back together and done Saturday.
Where in BC are you? I'm in Powell River.

bwood97

Reaction score
They are probably chevy balljoints that fit 10-15 model years of half-ton pickups. Thats what they are for my RRO arms. My balljoints have over 10 years on them now.
Cool, good to know. I imagine those are stronger than the OEM ones. I do question these ball joints a bit, as the sizing may be for a Chevy half ton, but I'm not convinced they are made of top quality materials at the price point they are. It looks like they could possibly accept a JBA ball joint though, judging by the bolt in design and pattern, so I may see down the road if the JBA joints can drop in, if I start noticing issues. They should arrive in 2 days, then go in Saturday.

bwood97

Reaction score
Where in BC are you? I'm in Powell River.
Neat! Cool to find another guy from BC on here. I'm in the Cowichan Valley over on Vancouver Island, so not too far really from Powell River. We sure get screwed up here in Canada on pricing and shipping for Liberty parts!
Im using Rancho shocks when I do the OME springs upfront this weekend, I have BDS springs in the back already. I was able to find a set of Rancho shocks on RockAuto. I think they were RS5764 (the cheaper line, not the RSX that people speak highly of on here, but still an upgrade over stock), for only $35 USD so $50CAD per shock. To order the same set from a Canadian retailer was going to charge $120 per shock! Shipping was about $50, but it worked out to only $150CAD with shipping, instead of $250+

Last edited:

derekj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Neat! Cool to find another guy from BC on here. I'm in the Cowichan Valley over on Vancouver Island, so not too far really from Powell River. We sure get screwed up here in Canada on pricing and shipping for Liberty parts!
Im using Rancho shocks when I do the OME springs upfront this weekend, I have BDS springs in the back already. I was able to find a set of Rancho shocks on RockAuto RS 5764 I thinkt they were (the cheaper line, not the RSX that people speak highly of on here, but still an upgrade over stock), for only $35 USD so $50CAD per shock. To order the same set from a Canadian retailer was going to charge $120 per shock! Shipping was about $50, but it worked out to only $150CAD with shipping, instead of $250+
Nice - there is some great mountain biking in your neck of the woods - rode over there for a few days last year. I ended up going with just some Monroe OE Spectrum shocks and the H&R lift springs from Essex in Vancouver, which was a good deal at $450 to my door. Ended up with 1.5 inches of lift over the stock ride height.

bwood97

Reaction score
Nice - there is some great mountain biking in your neck of the woods - rode over there for a few days last year. I ended up going with just some Monroe OE Spectrum shocks and the H&R lift springs from Essex in Vancouver, which was a good deal at $450 to my door. Ended up with 1.5 inches of lift over the stock ride height.
I looked at those H&R springs as well, they didnseem

bwood97

Reaction score
How do you like the H&R springs? You should post a photo of your KJ. I was initially looking at those as well, they're a good price for us in Canada. I imagine they ride a bit smoother than the OME 927 heavy duty springs.

How are your suspension angles? You're sitting at 20.5" front and back then? When my front was at 20.5" before my set up sagged down to 19.5", the angles were actually really good, better than they were when I was at 17.5-18" on old sagged springs. The KJs initially were made to sit at 20" I believe, but after a rollover during testing, they were lowered 1" to sit at 19".

I did find out a bit more about these "Deeke's" control arms I have coming tomorrow, it sounds like a few people did snap the grease fittings off of the connection point for greasing the control arm bushings, so that is one mark against them already. I imagine they could be replaced and fitted with some better quality ones by drilling a new hole and plugging the old broken off zerk, or by drilling it out and fitting a new one in its place (it looks like 2 guys in the reviews snapped the grease fitting off, but the threaded base remained in the arm).

At least now that I know about this, I can be very careful when greasing them and doing anything with the fittings. I imagine these guys were unaware of this issue and just applied a bit too much force to them, but clearly the grease zerks are not very good quality, at least the ones for the bushings. It doesn't bode well, but the rest of the arms look strong and welded well, and this was only mentioned in 2 out of 21 reviews, and both reviews mentioning the broken fitting were Cherokee arms, none of the Liberty arm reviews mentioned breaking the grease zerks off.

It does look like maybe, a JBA ball joint would bolt up to this arm, so at least if these joints don't last long, I could always drop in a JBA ball joint potentially and still be ahead by a few hundred dollars.

As to what you said about mountain biking up here, you are correct on that, I live just outside of Duncan, if you know where that is, on Mount Tzouhalem, if you happen to have been riding up here when on the island, you would've been right beside my house. There is a lot of great trails right across the street from me, it's a very popular spot for mountain biking for people on the island. It's worth checking it out if you're out this way again. You would probably see my KJ in the driveway just across the road from the parking area if you do!

Have you considered the ironman (iron rock off-road maybe actually?) rear control arms? They look really good and beefy, I think the kit was around $700 CAD last I checked on eBay. At 1.5" they wouldn't be needed, but I imagine they are much higher quality and look pretty sweet compared to the stock rear arms.

When you have the chance, post a picture of your KJ. I'd like to see it. I'm at 19.5" front right now, 21" rear. Planning to go for 21.5-22" front and rear, with OME springs upfront and a clevis lift, and adding an extra isolator or 2 to the BDS springs I have in the rear.

Attachments

• IMG_20240515_220019017.jpg
    IMG_20240515_220019017.jpg
    281 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20240512_194302213.jpg
    IMG_20240512_194302213.jpg
    446.8 KB · Views: 4

derekj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have a great side shot of my truck sitting on a level surface - this is about the best one I have right now. The front sits at 20.25 and the rear at 20.5. I might throw a conduit nut in the front to bring it up a bit more. I do like the ride, it's a bit softer than the OME (which I had on my last Liberty) but not squishy like the stock springs.

You must be registered for see images attach

I wouldn't be to concerned about the grease fittings - a bag of them are pretty cheap at lordco - maybe just put some 90deg ones in so the fitting is facing out - might make it easier to grease. Haven't put any thought into the Iron stuff - this truck is mainly just our backroads/biking car so I'm not really interested in sinking anymore money into it at this point.

We rode Tzou and Maple 2 years back for the MegaVolt - was a ton of fun! Got to love Double D - lots of smiles on that one :D

WheelNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the topic of getting heavy weight parts in Canada I've used www.themonkeywrench.com for a number of items. They do "free" shipping in Canada, of course their prices are way higher than Rockauto, but the cost to your door for heavy parts is lower. They are kind of slow to ship, but such is life up north.
There is an H&R thread going already, so search that out and check it out for more info. I got my H&R's at Essex as well. Good option for us Canadians for sure.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Partsavatar is another Canadian outfit to check for heavy parts - free shipping at $100+ purchase.

Latest posts

Members online