zj wheel and tire swap? Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jrich929

Reaction score
I have 4 (30 x 9.5 15's) on my Grand Cherokee. I'd like to swap these out and put them on my liberty. (Wheels and tires) Will they fit? The bolt pattern looks the same. And will the liberty wheels and tires fit the ZJ? They are 235 70 16's. Will the tire and wheel combo rub on the liberty? (banghead)

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
The Liberty wheels and tires will fit on the ZJ but POSSIBLY NOT IN REVERSE. There are VERY few 15" wheels that work with the Liberty's brake calipers, and the ones that do work have a LOT of backspacing.

There's a reason why no KJ was offered with 15" wheels.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
The 15" factory wheels for the ZJ will not clear the front brakes on the KJ.
You can use the tires with some Cragar/Unique/other brand steel 15x7s, but not OE Jeep wheels

jrich929

Reaction score
OK thanks.

How about 16 inch zj wheels and tires? Or even 16 inch wj? I see alot of those for sale. Will they work? My liberty is not lifted and I don't plan too.

Thanks again.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
ThunderbirdJunkie has a set of 16" ZJ wheels with street tires he's run on his KJ, and intends to use on the KJ in the future.

Not lifted?
No. Backspacing is all wrong. Wheels will sit out too far and rub during steering.

jrich929

Reaction score
Arghhhh

Man... new to the Jeep world here. Wish these things were more like chevys.....

Any Ideas on what to look for in order to swap?

I have another one. How do I reset the check engine light? Vehicle runs fine.

I'm getting this code.

P0455 (Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System Leak Detected)

Need to turn it off to get it smogged.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
More like Chevys?
You mean have to work on them every week, rusted out frames and stuff? :p

it's an evap system leak...look for split vacuum hoses and stuff.

jrich929

Reaction score
LOL...

Don't get me wrong I got the bug when I first got my ZJ! Love it especially the look of a solid front axle. Just got the liberty for my wife because seh says it's to big for her.

Ok so I need to look for frayed lines around the charcoal canister or maybe it's the gas cap?

Question is how do I reset to turn off the light at least temporarily so I can get it smogged?

Thanks for all the info so far!

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Get a scan tool.

Look for split vacuum lines, usually coming from the evap system above the gas tank in the rear.

The Fixer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look for split vacuum lines, usually coming from the evap system above the gas tank in the rear.

That's where I found the cracked vacuum line on my wife's '03 KJ which gave us the same code. It was an easy fix! You can reset the light on your dash by disconnecting the battery for ~20 minutes, but if your state plugs in to scan OBII vehicles, that won't solve your issue - the truck will still fail because the monitors need to be reset. My recommendation - replace the cracked rubber hoses, disconnect the battery for ~20 minutes or so, then reconnect. You'll need to drive it for several drive cycles (usually a few days) before all OBDII monitors have been reset and the code doesn't come back, then get it smogged.

Oh, as far as your wheel situation goes, here's what I've found. 16" ZJ or XJ wheels will fit fine especially with stock-size tires. Some factory 15" ZJ or XJ wheels ~may~ work - I remember seeing a KJ around here with 15" Ecco wheels, but it was on the road so I don't know how much clearance there was by the caliper. Personally, I think the aluminum 15" wheels have a better chance at fitting since they don't have the hump behind the spokes like a steel wheel. I tried a 15" steel wheel from an XJ on my wife's KJ and there was hardly any clearance between the inside of the rim and the caliper - see the pic below.

You must be registered for see images attach

Also, 16" TJ wheels will fit (like the Moab wheels). The WJ, WK ('99-up Grand Cherokee), and JK ('07-up Wrangler) wheels will not fit, since they are a 5x5" bolt pattern - the KJ, XJ, ZJ, TJ, and even YJ are all 5x4.5". Hope that helps ya!