Yup ESP works

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rukusjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a little scare tonight. After watching a movie I headed home, it had been cold and raining with a touch of ice all day. Well the driver in front of me lost control in traffic so I had to maneuver quickly to avoid hitting him and others around me. Well I came out of it safely thanks to ESP and other control systems. Thanks Jeep. :D

nchorselover55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what did it feel like when the ESP did its thing? Were you still in control? And, able to steer?

Is the ESP taking over... Scary? Or, comforting?

Just trying to get an idea of what to expect, if mine ever activates.

DnvrJeepGuy

Reaction score
So what did it feel like when the ESP did its thing? Were you still in control? And, able to steer?

Is the ESP taking over... Scary? Or, comforting?

Just trying to get an idea of what to expect, if mine ever activates.

I've had mine kick in several times - twice, I'm convinced it absolutely kept my vehicle out of the ditch. Around Christmas, I was driving back to Colorado from Iowa and at one point on the interstate, I hit a very frosty patch of pavement (actually, it was many miles of frosty pavement.) I was driving in 2WD mode (4x4 doesn't help you in the slightest on ice). I began to fishtail on the frost and the ESP kicked in. I let off on the gas and let the ESP do its thing for about 1 second and it had corrected the fishtail and I was back moving forward again.

What it feels like when it happens is that it'll reduce engine power to the wheel(s) with no traction and it'll apply the brake rapidly on and off via the ABS to the wheel that is spinning. It has no impact on your ability (or inability) to steer.

You'll know instantly when it kicks in, but every time it does, you'll be thankful.

nchorselover55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I guess that it's not scary. Hope I don't have the oppurtunity to experiance the ESP kicking in... but I'm sure I'll be glad its there.

I guess I've had ABS for the past ten years, even on the TJ - in all that time, I think the ABS has kicked in once (still ended up hitting the idiot that was backing up the highway, because she missed her turn.)

rukusjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I echo what DnvrJeep said. It does take getting used to but it makes this sound I guess it's the braking or something kinda sounds like a muffled "brrr brrr brrr" sound.
It has been snowing here in Chicago a lot lately and I actually had to kick in the 4wd just to get out of my parking spot. All I did is dig around the exhaust, climb in the Jeep and off I went while other kept diggin there cars out. "Shoulda bought a Jeep", was running through my mind when I witnessed the hapless motorist that did not have 4wd or even All-Wheel Drive.
Anywho. ESP is a life saver. I hope you will never need or experience it but just knowing that you have it should give a little piece of mind the next time mother nature decides to turn sour.

Latest posts

Members online