your opinion, which of these 3 tires should I get?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeeperkeeper

Reaction score
I'm down to 3 tire choices in the 245/75 R16 range:

BF Goodrich All Terain TA KO
BF Goodrich Mud Terain T/A KM
Good Year Wrangler MTR

Which tire would you say is best for Wet Road traction/Off Road general traction combo?

I want my tires to grip really well in rain on the road but also want a good off road worthy tire to do some minor rock crawling/possibly mud too.

any other tires I should really look into?

thanks!

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BFG KO will do the best in wet conditions and well off road in everything except mud. The BFG MT and the MTR will do better in the Mud and probably not as well on wet pavement. It's a trade off.

In short the better the offroad tire the worst of a street tire and vice versa. Its a compromise.

jeeperkeeper

Reaction score
Eddo said:
BFG KO will do the best in wet conditions and well off road in everything except mud. The BFG MT and the MTR will do better in the Mud and probably not as well on wet pavement. It's a trade off.

In short the better the offroad tire the worst of a street tire and vice versa. Its a compromise.

yeah and safety on road is more important to me. have you driven those BF KO's before?

jeeperkeeper

Reaction score
Eddo said:

I just went to the tire shop and saw the BFG KO's in person. I liked them, but the guy at the shop said they only came in 10ply sidewall (LT) Will the LT 10 ply thick sidewall be ok to rock crawl? The guy at the shop said you can't air them down or you will ruin the tires (minumum 45psi!). He suggested I go with the Bridgestone A/T Revos which are (P) 6 ply but have less aggressive off road traction. He also mentioned the LT's are meant for a heavier load, so the ride would be stiff.

What do I want here? P or LT?

fouros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You CAN air down to around 18-20PSI it will not ruin the tire it helps it bag out over rocks and give you a larger footprint on sand and give you better traction, Some tire guys will put a lot of pressure in the tires they sell to give them what appears a longer life,

If you have watched any rock crawling Vids you will see em air down to about 5psi on thier bead locked rims

when I off road I will air down to about 20PSI on my SR-A's and i have got around 40,000 miles on em so far

hope that helps

jeeperkeeper

Reaction score
fouros said:
You CAN air down to around 18-20PSI it will not ruin the tire it helps it bag out over rocks and give you a larger footprint on sand and give you better traction, Some tire guys will put a lot of pressure in the tires they sell to give them what appears a longer life,

If you have watched any rock crawling Vids you will see em air down to about 5psi on thier bead locked rims

when I off road I will air down to about 20PSI on my SR-A's and i have got around 40,000 miles on em so far

hope that helps

no... I think you completely missed my point. I realize you need to air down. that is why I am asking in the first place. the SRA's are P (passenger tire) and you can air them down becuase the sidewalls are softer. I am asking about 10 ply sidewall tires that are LT (light truck) meant for a heavier load with much stiffer sidewalls. The shop guy said they aren't meant for airing down or it will destroy the sidewall.

So I am asking if anyone knows if you can in fact air down specifically 10 ply sidewall tires LT245 75 R16 BFG KO's or are they strictly meant for proper inflation of 45PSI as the shop guy stated? (he didn't know anything about off roading, but I know lots of people are using this tire. must be for a reason?) I don't want to buy these tires if they aren't meant for airing down.

Eddo?

fouros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry jeeper Keeper eyes were working faster than brain

i guess i still dont see the harm in airing-down a 10ply sidewall in relation to an 8 ply or a 6 ply it just wont bag out as much, But then thats only my opinion wait for some more replys than make your own mind up :-k

krazz1e

Reaction score
no... I think you completely missed my point. I realize you need to air down. that is why I am asking in the first place. the SRA's are P (passenger tire) and you can air them down becuase the sidewalls are softer. I am asking about 10 ply sidewall tires that are LT (light truck) meant for a heavier load with much stiffer sidewalls. The shop guy said they aren't meant for airing down or it will destroy the sidewall.

:-k This tire salesman does not know what he is talking about. That tires has a 3 ply sidewall which is DESIGNED for max. air down so that you don't have sidewall failure. The 10 ply is only on the top tread not sidewall.

Latest posts

Members online