Your knowledge required please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FishermanAllen

Reaction score
My 2002 liberty 3.7 4x4 auto has a seized thermostat. I have just ordered the new genuine one from Mopar , problem is I live in a remote area and it looks like a 2 week wait until it gets delivered to me.
Can I remove the jammed thermostat & drive the vehicle without the thermostat in at all.
My wife needs to take kids to school & back each day, about 20 km away, our daily temperatures here never go below 12 degrees Celsius or above 30 degrees Celsius.
We love our little Jeep & don’t want to risk it if it will be a problem to drive it without a thermostat for a couple of weeks.

Regards
FishermanAllen

hadtomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hello from Israel- how are things down under? the answer is yes you can. of course you will probably experience some strange stuff like engine not reaching working temp-but it is not that bad. I would not do it for a long period- of course the thermostat is there for a reason.

FishermanAllen

Reaction score
Gday Hadtomer
Down under is just fine & we are enjoying our wet season.

Thank you for your answer to my question, I suspected it would be ok temporarily to drive it & nurse it until the new thermostat arrives. I just needed some reassurance, so thank you once again.

Regards
FishermanAllen

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for that & what issues can be caused from the engine not reaching ( normal operating temperature) ....??

Regards
FishermanAllen
The engine might perform poorly. Long ago I had to drive a Toyota Celica with a broken thermostat during the winter. It had trouble accelerating, and ran pretty rough.

I also understand it’s not good for the oil.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it might throw a CEL. I think that was what happened to me last when I was trying to flush out all the coolant with multiple days of drain and fill with distilled water.

I don't remember what else but it certainly didn't run rough.

FishermanAllen

Reaction score
I think it might throw a CEL. I think that was what happened to me last when I was trying to flush out all the coolant with multiple days of drain and fill with distilled water.

I don't remember what else but it certainly didn't run rough.
Might throw a cell ???? Can you enlighten me on what this means.
regards

FishermanAllen

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will be fine until you can put in the new thermostat. It may use more fuel than normal and wont have very good heat. And yes, the check engine light will most likely come on since it isnt reaching normal temps.

FishermanAllen

Reaction score
Have you joined the www.ausjeepoffroad.com Forum?
lots of clever people there and they have Jeeps with the steering wheel on the "Right" side as well as other slight differances to the USA models!;)
Great advise , I originally searched Google & all they showed was your Forum, which by the way has been great . I will now join the the Aussie Forum as well & keep my membership here to.
Thank you for your post & advise.

regards
FishermanAllen

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ausjeepoffroad is generally pretty quiet these days as regards the KJs but very useful to get to know the local owners who can help you out with spares etc. and there are some differences between the USA and Export models!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
See attached images for correct orientation of New Mopar thermostat.
Also the Jeep has a steel block with aluminum heads & does require the use of Mopar HOAT coolant or Zerex G-05 ONLY !!

Attachments

• Thermostat install.jpg
    Thermostat install.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Thermostat KJ.jpg
    Thermostat KJ.jpg
    389.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Hoat Zerex G05 inst.jpg
    Hoat Zerex G05 inst.jpg
    370.3 KB · Views: 6

KJ_Liverpool

Reaction score