You know your tires suck when...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're approaching a intersection with a Red Light Camera, light turns yellow, it's raining, driving behind your wife with a brand new KK and the ABS kicks in. :freak3: :freak3: Luckily I was driving behind her with a good distance.

The tires came with the Jeep when I purchased it in August. They're Goodyear Integrity, new on all corners. But boy do they suck, if I need to get moving quick in the rain, it's impossible to do so, without getting the rears to spin.

After driving yesterday in the rain, I'm really not impressed and don't feel confident once the snow comes.

So might be in the market for new A/T tires. So far I'm looking at the General Grabber AT2, size 235/70R16.

I know there's threads I can search for tire reviews, but considering they always change as time goes on with the tires, anyone else recommend a good set of A/T tires?

Looking for something good year-round and within $500.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Firestone Destination ATs
Thats what I put on mine as soon as I could back in 04 and they were 2000 times better than the stockers, did good in snow, rain etc and very quiet
Now if you want a good snow, more off road type then Duratrac's

DJSKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you are going to have a hard time finding a set of four A/T's for $500. I purchased Cooper Discover A/T3 245/75R16 for $750 out the door and that was the cheapest I could find. Maybe a 235 will be slightly cheaper, but not sure by how much.

DJ

Jaber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you are going to have a hard time finding a set of four A/T's for $500. I purchased Cooper Discover A/T3 245/75R16 for $750 out the door and that was the cheapest I could find. Maybe a 235 will be slightly cheaper, but not sure by how much.

DJ

Tirerack has'em for around that price, but they're on Back Order status. So just going to wait and go from there.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found out back in '03 that Jeep likes to put
"car tires" on Jeeps
Problem is they way Jeeps handle stop and go is different
then a Fwd car
If They have less than 5 or 10k on them and are considered
By G/Y's web page as part of their "car line" then you may
Get some new ones free
Our '03 LTD came with Eagle's NOT Wranglers like it should
Now all '03 LTD's came this way
We found a G/Y store that supported us and got 5 AT-S's at no
charge to me

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I really love my Nitto Terra Grapplers. Have a set on the KJ and LR3.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I found out back in '03 that Jeep likes to put
"car tires" on Jeeps
Problem is they way Jeeps handle stop and go is different
then a Fwd car
If They have less than 5 or 10k on them and are considered
By G/Y's web page as part of their "car line" then you may
Get some new ones free
Our '03 LTD came with Eagle's NOT Wranglers like it should
Now all '03 LTD's came this way
We found a G/Y store that supported us and got 5 AT-S's at no
charge to me

That's because most people who drive Jeeps drive them like cars.
I'd say that 90% + have never seen any off road usage.
It's more of an "Image" for most people.
Just like Gore-Tex Jackets, carabiners, and hiking boots!

ck2012

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pays to have a good set of tires which i saw the outcome today in a retaining pond when i had to go pull out a friend wish i would have recorded the whole thing http://youtu.be/KYJYMfLSrcM?hd=1
lets just say i will be talking so much shit to this kid tomorrow in school

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pays to have a good set of tires which i saw the outcome today in a retaining pond when i had to go pull out a friend wish i would have recorded the whole thing http://youtu.be/KYJYMfLSrcM?hd=1
lets just say i will be talking so much shit to this kid tomorrow in school

If you turn your phone sideways it records in widescreen. Just a tip.

Also, your taste in music *****. :icon_twisted:

RedKJ04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a set of 245-70-16 Firestone Destination AT's on my 04 Liberty and I absolutely love them. Great tire all around. Haven't had any problems with them so far in the rain or off road, they are also really quiet for an AT as I believe Tom mentioned earlier.

Jeepman56

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had almost the exact same thing happen on stock Jeep with the RS/As. Not good as I am hauling around my 2 kids daily. My solution was to upgrade to 245/70 General Grabber AT2s. They work great in snow and rain. As for trails I have used them on the frozen bay for ice fishing, snowey trails for hunting, wet grass and light muddy trails for camping/cruising in the northwoods. They have been great in all instances except one tire developed a bulge in the sidewall which the dealer replaced for free. I would highly recommend.