Yokohama Geolander ATS vs. Bridgestone Revo or Goodyear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

paullgj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, just got new Liberty 4x4 - everyone agrees the stock 225 Goodyear ST's just don't cut it. I'm going to replace them with 245/70-16 (no rubbing, right?), but which brand?

What I've seen here on the forum - the Bridgestone Revo's and Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armour are highly recommended, but they are $150 a pop at Discount Tire.

They also have Yokohoma Geolander ATS for a lot less - $115, plus (amazingly) they'll give me $40 each for the ST's (the Goodyear dealer offered $0.00 for their own tires, brand new!).

Any comments or drawbacks to the Yokohama? I'm mainly concerned with sidewall resistance to puncture and handling on twisty mountain paved (or semi-paved) roads in Mexico. There will be some rocky trails involved.

Thanks.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the reviews on TireRack. For what it's worth, buyers rated the Revo's #4 and the GeoLanders #13....

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
paullgj...........

My opinion would be for you to also check what people are running in your intended off road enviroment. Personally, I have run 235/75/15 BFG A/T in the Az/Nevada Desert a few years back with no problems on an XJ.This is similar terrain to what you have. No flats from sharp rocks or busted sidewalls. The sidewalls have an extra ply and are stiffer. But I tried to be careful out in the middle of nowhere. The Geolanders or REVO"s I have not run. I will tell you that I got 2 slow leaks from rocks with the stock goodyear HP's that came on mine new. Both times a rock puncture in between the tread that leaked down to about 17 pounds. (I know they are not really meant for off road) I went where I shouldn't have gone knowing the limitations of the tires. But I also found that they were not good on wet or snowy roads. I changed them at 15,000 miles but I have the 17" rims and couldn't get the BFG's or REVO's in my size as I didn't want to lift it or switch to a 16" rim for more tire selection (long story). I found that the BFG's would clog with mud easily but would clean themselves out as soon as you're out of the mud. Overall, they were a good balance between a offroad-road tire.

Keep in mind that the tire reviews are mostly pavement with occasional off road and where you are you'll have more off road use than most of us.

When I first got the kj I took it up in the mountains and put 51 off road miles on. Even though there's a lot of dirt roads around here and logging roads, I still drive on pavement 95% of the time.

Dave

paullgj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went wih Geolandar AT-S

Hi everyone - thanks for the comments and suggestions. I did go to the Tire-Rack website - the reviews were for the Geolandars AT-II tires, a different design from the AT-S tire. On the Discount Tire website the AT-S was listed rated at 5 stars with over 20 reviews. So I went with these over the Bridgestones - hope I didn't make a big mistake, but couldn't justify the extra $200.00.

I have used BFG TA's in the past on my Chevy's, but actually preferred Goodyear MTR's for the dirt. Anyway, they were $175/each, before mounting, balancing, tax, etc. A friend just spent $1,000 to put a set on her Tacoma 4wd pickup. She did mention the extra sidewall.

One thing I checked out was tire weight - the 225 ST's that are on there now are 27 lbs. each, the Bridgestones and Yokohamas are 35 lb., and the TA's a whopping 45 lb. in th 245/70 x 16 size. I had some concerns how the extra unsprung weight would affect handling and gas mileage.

I have to wait until Friday, March 30, for the tires as they are being sent in from Georgia. I'll post a full report after they are mounted.

sgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you'll like the Geolanders. I don't have alot of off-road time on them, but they seem to be a top notch tire for both on and off road. Enjoy!

paullgj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LT225/75 x 16D instead of 245/70 x 16

I didn't notice until sgoat's post that there was a Geolandar 225/75 x 16D available in LT size. Would these be a better match for the vehicle instead of the P245/70 x 16? Three things I noticed - they are the same size as the standard Goodyears, they are LT, and D - meaning heavier duty construction.

Tomorrow is when the tires are supposed to arrive at Discount Tire so I think I will check out the 225LT's before buying the wider tire.

paullgj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had Geolandears installed today.

Just had the Geolandar 245/70 x 16's AT-S installed today. It's too early for a detailed report - I'll just say the vehicle seems ever so more stable, and the steering just more direct, as compared to the stock tires. I'll have some more comments after a little use.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Geolander A/T-S and really like them... My brother has the Geolander A/T+2 and he also likes them. Weve both been in alot of rain and snow, they seem to perform great.

The rubber does seem to be alittle soft, so be sure to keep the psi at the recommended pressure and rotate them ever 6k. O:)

Edit:

They do purdy good offroad:

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Members online