Yet more Frankenlift questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rkeegstra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. Would my CVs be less taxed without the spacer in front? Enough to make a difference? I don't necessarily need a lot of clearance, I mostly want the better springs.

2. Here's a tough one - Is it possible to qualify the difference between the OME struts and the Ranchos? Are they worth $120 more?

3. Simply out of curiousity - Do the OME long travel shocks require a bigger bumpstop in the back? Or is the standard bumpstop enough to keep the shocks from bottoming out before the spring does? (since I assume that the long travel shocks are also longer at full compression).

4. I will also be swapping in Al's upper A-arms, should I just go ahead and swap out the lower ball joints for Moogs while it's all apart anyway? Mine's an '06, and doesn't seem to be one of the recalled ones.

5. Do you have to wait until the springs have settled to do the front re-alignment? How long does that take?

I will almost certainly put on an aftermarket bumper eventually (one of RockLizard's pending redesign possibly?) and likely a winch, so I'm assuming HD coils in the front.

I tow a lot - a little popup tent camper with maybe 250 pound hitch weight, often with 200 pounds worth of stuff in cargo, so I'm also assuming HD coils in the back.

A stiff ride doesn't bother me.

Thanks in advance!
Russ
2006 Limited

Last edited:

CRD4Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. Yes
2. The OME shocks dampen a little better, especially the back, and last longer.
3. Yep. Shock will be your stop if you don't install one. Shocks don't like that.
4.I'd change them if you have a problem later on.
5.Yep, it depends on whether you flex the front end wheelin' or just mall it.
The less stress the longer it takes to settle.

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was after the springs mainly too and a little hight, i just didnt want to piece part the franken kit and have somthine else go wrong. hoping 2.25" will not be too harsh on my CV's. i was under the impression if you stay below 2.5" theres not a lot to worry about. Ill let ya know how that works out tho.. =D

IF you buy the non-pre-assembled front strut asembly, i suppose you could just not put in the spacers. not sure how you would even it up so the back matches, but im sure there's a way.

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do both struts dampen in both the compresion and extention directions? my kyb's for my nissan did that and it was very stable on washboards, till i wrecked it, but not related to that... hehehe

rkeegstra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

Yeah, if I go without the front spacer I would probably just piece it together from the OME parts rather than go for the assembled Frankie. I don't think I care about matching the back, I don't mind if the front is a little lower. What's the spacer, 3/4"? 1"?

Russ

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the spacer was 1.50 or 1.0 unless ur jeep is a pre lowered 02 or earlier ur already almost a full inch low in front to begin with maybe 3/4. that would make u bout 1&3/4 to 2.50 lower in front, that may show a bit like a dragster hehehe

rkeegstra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll avoid the dragster look thanks.

Now the only question I have to answer is if I'm willing to void my nice powertrain warranty.

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got my jeep back from the lift man. Frankenlift all done, its about 3" higher from the front skid, 2.25~2.5" ish at the pinch weld as advartised. Ill take some pics and post them in the pics section soon. The CV's and axles are still almost flat maybe a 5~10 degree downward doesnt look over extended at all. Rides Nice too.

Latest posts

Members online