Yet another noob question: transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Ok.

So, brakes are all new/rebuilt. Suspension is worn but within tolerance (and due to be replaced shortly). Rusted out ****** mount replaced.

Still get a “clunk” that one feels more than hears on takeoff. Comes from middle center of vehicle.

other than that, shifts normally. 07 sport.
4Hi and 4lo work fine. 2 and 1 fine, though still get the clunk on takeoff in 1, but not 2. OD and skid control off, same behavior. Fluids in acceptable condition

Im stumped.

Suggestions?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hows the tri link ?
They will give you a " clunk " sound at times during takeoff if ball joint is bad, or one of the front mounts is loose
any difference when in 4WD ?

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Hows the tri link ?
They will give you a " clunk " sound at times during takeoff if ball joint is bad, or one of the front mounts is loose
any difference when in 4WD ?
I will find out shortly.

also, forgive my ignorance, but “tri link”
Still learning the lingo, me.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Will also add the pass front axel has the play mentioned elsewhere. Replacement goes in tomorrow. This noise is definitely not related to that area.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Will also add the pass front axel has the play mentioned elsewhere. Replacement goes in tomorrow. This noise is definitely not related to that area.
NAPA remanned ? also intermediate shaft ? No use replacing one with out the other as they both wear as a unit

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Tri Link, the top mount above the rear diff, mounts diff to frame
I’ll look at this closely once it cools down a bit. I was able to recreate the thunk in 4hi, but not 4lo, and not with the freq of occurrence in 2by

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Just like a VW bug…you fix one source of noise only to expose the ones you couldn’t hear before!

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alot people use to take the driveshaft out and grease the splines at the Tcase. I recently took mine off and greased it well with high moly grease, couldnt really tell a difference... But I did install a truetrac limited slip at the same time which supposedly adds some driveline slack.

Latest posts

Members online