Yes, a Soft 8 Q.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MarkMatters

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, i've been looking at every post regarding this...but can't find an exact answer on my situation...
I am going to buy some soft 8's.... 15 inch....to be exact...i get it that they fit....now, bs, i have no idea how that works...i want my wheels to pop out a little... how would i get that effect? 15x7 or 15x8 with what backspace....? and what tire size would be that best in this case? thanks!

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go with the 15x7 with a 4" or 4.5 BS. 4" BS makes a wider stance that the 4.5" BS. BS is the distance from the inner rim lip to the hub mounting surface. So less backspacing makes for tires that stick out farther. Since you already have a lift, the 4" BS would work fine for you. You may have a little fender trimming and pinch weld pounding to do, depending on what size tires you decide to put on it. I will leave the tire size recommendations to others on here that have more experience with various sizes.

MarkMatters

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmmm....would the 15x8 with the 4' bs make any difference? any issues? i can get a good deal on those if they work...my bumpers all trimmed up pretty good due to my 265/70/17's....i was thinking on going down a bit with tires, maybe 245/70 15? but people at discount don't recommend it...so i'm asking the pros...any inputs?

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my opinion, if you go with the 15x8, go with 4.5" backspace. I had 15x8 Rockcrawlers with 3.75" backspace and it looked BAD. Stuck out way too far in my opinion. I liked it at first but it got old. The pic below is 15x8's with 3.75" backspacing:

You must be registered for see images

The 15x8's with 4.5" of backspace should come out just far enough to give that nice aggressive stance without sticking out too far like a ghetto cruiser. 15x8's with 4" might come out a bit too much.

As far as the tires, I had 31/10.50/15's on my 15x8 Rockcrawlers and they fit just about perfect. Somewhere between 245 and 265 in equivalent metirc sizes. You might be able to sneak 32/11.50/15's on there.

If it were me, I'd go with 31/10.50/15 tires on 15x8 rims with 4.5" backspacing.

Last edited:

MarkMatters

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds now a plan...now, tires...31/10.5/15....how much difference is there between those and 265/70/17's that im riding now...its rubbing, even tho ive trimmed the front bumper a lot... I wanna know if they'll rub aswell....and if theyre anywhere close in siZe..thank you.

MarkMatters

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i ended up ordering the 15x8 with 4.5 bs...hope i like em...now the tires...anyone got an answer for the q above? How much smaller will the 31/10.5/15 be as compared to the 265/70/17's? Appreciate it!

MarkMatters

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didnt think anyone was waiting for updates! But since you asked, i will post pictures of them as soon as i figure out how to post them? Hehe...i went for a 30 in tire...decided i wanted the power i lost with the 265/70/17s...ride feels a lot smoother and it feels lighter some some reason...

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes pics please, I want 15's too but I hear ppl running into all kind of problems with rubbing and the pinch weld, did u have any issues?

Uncle Krusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much smaller will the 31/10.5/15 be as compared to the 265/70/17's? Appreciate it!

Your 265/70/17 size is roughly a 31.5/10.4/17 with about 7.3 inches of sidewall height.

For comparrison, dropping to the 15 in rim, with the 30 inch tires you said you ordered, will drop the overall tire diameter 1.5 inches, yet actually increase you sidewall to 7.5" (30-15 divided by 2) Why the concern with sidewall height? More sidewall typically means more flex in the tire and a bit better ride over the rough stuff.

I have (for now) the 17" rim option, on an un-lifted 06 Liberty Limited 4x4. When I went to put new AT style tires on it, options for the stock 235/65/17 size were quite limited. I ended up with Toyo Open Country ATs - which have been GREAT tires both on/off road, but due to the limited sidewall height (6") don't seem to absorb the occassional "pothole" as well.

I liked these tires so much I have the same tire (265/70/16 - 7.3 inch sidewall) on my full size Dodge PU with no similar complaint at all. The extra inch plus makes quite a difference (doesn't hurt that they are 1" wider either!).

When I do finally lift, and go tire /wheel shopping, I too will be looking for nothing larger than a 16 (15 if I can find it) just for that reason alone.

U.K.

Last edited: