Yellow starter wire was cut by previous owner!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

steeler8643

Reaction score
My Yellow starter wire was cut by previous owner!! When I bought the jeep 2 months ago i started going through it and doing the mods and stuff and i saw a Yellow wire going underneath the fuse box that is in the engine compartment. I didnt like what i saw because my other CRD doesnt have this wire, so I pulled the fuse box and the bare wire was jammed into one of the ports under the fuse box!! I pulled it out without noting where it was and then traced it back to the starter (I assume it was jammed in the starter relay). My question is "where should this wire actually be connected to?' I have another Liberty CRD but my wife is driving it in Buffalo now and I am in Florida so I cant trace it on that one to see where it should be connected. Funny thing is that the Jeep starts up without a problem even though that wire is disconnected. Any help would be great!!

Thank You,
Bob

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Might be for an inline fuel pump or in-tank fuel pump someone added to stop the "air in fuel" problems. My parts jeep had an inline pump wired like that. Maybe not too. My pump was mounted, (taped), in the engine bay, some are mounted underneath along the fuel lines. In-tank installations are usually wired in under the driver's side rear seat.

Or, lights, autostart, alarm, amp...

steeler8643

Reaction score
Might be for an inline fuel pump or in-tank fuel pump someone added to stop the "air in fuel" problems. My parts jeep had an inline pump wired like that. Maybe not too. My pump was mounted, (taped), in the engine bay, some are mounted underneath along the fuel lines. In-tank installations are usually wired in under the driver's side rear seat.

Im not sure.....it looks like someone was trying to bypass something.....do you know what the spade connection on the starter actually does?

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Not looking at it but the spade connection usually triggers the solenoid engaging the starter's bendix gear with the flywheel and making the connection to the starter motor.

steeler8643

Reaction score

Ive been doing some research and from what i have read is that the wire on the spade (on starter solenoid) is a 12V wire that should only get power while turning the engine over. Does anyone know a good spot for this to hook up to?

Thanks
Bob

steeler8643

Reaction score

After crawling under with better light i reached up and unplugged the wire from the spade and found that someone had spliced another wire into the original wire (yellow w/gray stripe) the original is intact and hooked up like it should be but the other one I am leaving unplugged because it seems like there is no reason for it unless another accessory was installed that needed power only at startup and there are no accessories in my jeep at all.

Thanks
Bob

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Just looked at mine. Big cable and yellow/stripe spade wire is all mine has.

If it starts OK I wouldn't worry. Sounds like the original got cut. See if it still starts with the rigged end of your stray wire unhooked from the fuse block, (or wherever you found it).

If you ever run into starter problems check the splice before you spend big $$ on starter or battery.

steeler8643

Reaction score
Just looked at mine. Big cable and yellow/stripe spade wire is all mine has.

If it starts OK I wouldn't worry. Sounds like the original got cut. See if it still starts with the rigged end of your stray wire unhooked from the fuse block, (or wherever you found it).

If you ever run into starter problems check the splice before you spend big $$ on starter or battery.

Thanks for your help....I can relax now knowing that the actual wire is where it should be....Now I can move on to getting the Fuel Guage to work and find out why my ****** shifts so damn hard!!

Thanks Again
Bob