Yakima bike rack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pfaziani

Reaction score
I have a Yakima bike rack that goes to the hitch of my liberty. The problem is that it hits my spare. The receiver itself is 1 1/4 and no one seems to make an extension and I don't know if adapting it up to 2 in would mess up weight distribution with the rack and receiver.

I want to keep my spare on if possible.

Would adapting hurt the weight?

Any thoughts would be awesome.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Is the bike rack meant to fit the 1.25" receiver? I have the OE 2" hitch and I use this with my 4 bike bike rack. Works fine!
Hitch Extender For 2" Trailer Hitch Receiver 18" Hidden Hitch Hitch Accessories HE18
Got mine at Harbor Freight for less than that though! :D

But with the 1.25", I think you'd be ok with the weight, bikes and rack aren't that heavy, try to stay well under the recommended tongue weight, factoring in the extra leverage. The issue is finding a 1.25" extension that is 1.25" at both ends. In theory you could use multiple adapters but that wouldn't be smart, IMO.

Sorry if I didn't really answer your question! If I were you, I'd take the spare off on the days you ride bikes and secure it inside or something, mean while try to find the OE 2" hitch or a 2" one in general. KJ's are better suited to a 2" one anyway.