Wrangler ST blackwall vs. Wrangler AT/D2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z28

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to replace the tires on a 2006 Liberty Sport 4X2 that has its original Goodyear Wrangler ST tires with the white letters. I talked to one place that purchased over a hundred Goodyear Wrangler ST tires in the P225/75R16 size (because it’s a common size found on many vehicles, according to the person I spoke to) and will sell me four for $378.50 out-the-door (mounting, balancing, and tax included). However, these have black sidewalls. Is there any difference between the Wrangler ST tires with white letters and the Wrangler ST tires with black sidewalls? Those stores that want to sell me the blackwalls all say no. Are they correct? I thought raised white letter tires had extra plies in the sidewall.

I am also looking at a set of Goodyear Wrangler AT/D2 from Sam’s Club, but those are not listed on the Goodyear site. What does the AT/D2 lettering signify and how do they compare to the Wrangler ST tires?

I’m looking for a tire that will be driven on-road but will take a lot of abuse (potholes, curbs, etc on a routine basis). Price is important to me, but I want a name-brand I am familiar with--like Goodyear or Michelin

Thanks in advance for the advice.

flintlock

Reaction score
This is just my .02 but I hated the goodyears that were on my Xj. As soon as i could i changed them out. I had very poor grip in anything but dry conditions. The goodyears that are on my libby are alright i'm not a huge fan of goodyear.
Just my .02

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There isn't any difference between the ones with the white lettering and the black walls, they make them both ways for those that want the raised white lettering.

But i wouldn't go with those tires if you PAID ME to take them. They SUCK. I had the same on my KJ and they only had good traction on dry pavement, wet or smooth surfaces they slipped. They even broke free going down a gravel road and the back end just wagged.

That AT means All Terrain. Not sure what the D2 designation stands for maybe someone else does. Compare them to what you have now and the tread will undoubtedly be a bit more aggressive being an AT tire but i'm not sure how aggressive looking the Goodyear AT's are, i wouldn't go near them myself.

After having GY's on a few different vehicles in my lifetime one thing i always found about them is they wear too darn fast, the rubber is really hard compared to other tires, not sure if that's what affects wear but they also feel pretty stiff driving down the road, they don't give much on the bumps.

Save your money and buy something else!

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I haven't experienced the ST first hand, but I'm running Michelin Cross Terrains right now, and for on road use they're pretty good.

If you want something a bit more aggressive than the Cross Terrains, but don't want a more aggressive AT, take a look at the Fire Stone Destination AT.:)

Blue KJ in PA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No difference in the tire between white or black...but you'd be better off buying a better tire. Bridgestone Dueler Revos or Revo 2s would be my call just replaced my 4yr old Revos with another set recently.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No difference in the tire between white or black...but you'd be better off buying a better tire. Bridgestone Dueler Revos or Revo 2s would be my call just replaced my 4yr old Revos with another set recently.

It's nice to see i'm not the only one that hated the Wrangler ST's that were on my KJ... LOL

Z28

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice. These are what I'm looking at right now:

Goodyear Wranger ST (blackwall) $378.50 set of 4 out the door

Goodyear Tracker 2 $448 + tax set of 4 (Wal-Mart)

BF Goodrich Long Trail T/A Tour $510.22 set of 4 out the door (Sam's Club)

Goodyear Wranger AT/D2 $549.00 set of 4 out the door (Sam's Club)

Firestone Destination LE $555.51 set of 4 out the door (Firestone)

I don't want to pay more than $560 for a set of tires. Which of the above would you recommend? Or should I keep looking? Thanks.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Out of the above, ThunderbirdJunkie recommends the Firestones.

However, ITBJHO, you're going to have to pony up over 600 bones for something GOOOOOOD.

Don't leave your shopping to the big box stores, and for God's sake, don't get a wally-world special (IE the Wrangler AT/D-that is a Sam's/Wally World exclusive)

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
It's nice to see i'm not the only one that hated the Wrangler ST's that were on my KJ... LOL

I don't know anyone who really, really likes them.

I hated them.
My sister wanted to kill them.
Heck even after my mom almost HIT someone in the rain, she began to hate them too. And this is someone who has never been at fault for any accident and she's 54 years old!

They're a safety hazard. Dump them ASAP!

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice. These are what I'm looking at right now:

Goodyear Wranger ST (blackwall) $378.50 set of 4 out the door

Goodyear Tracker 2 $448 + tax set of 4 (Wal-Mart)

BF Goodrich Long Trail T/A Tour $510.22 set of 4 out the door (Sam's Club)

Goodyear Wranger AT/D2 $549.00 set of 4 out the door (Sam's Club)

Firestone Destination LE $555.51 set of 4 out the door (Firestone)

I don't want to pay more than $560 for a set of tires. Which of the above would you recommend? Or should I keep looking? Thanks.

Out of those, either the BFG or the Firestone...

sootie007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Firestones got a bad rap a few years back (coming apart ) BUT I had a new set 2 years ago on my full sized truck and they were the best tires I have purchased in the last 15 years for wear traction etc ! Every set of Goodyears I have had were overpriced and under performing ..... J

Last edited:

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Yokohoma AT/S's on the KJ
I have only had them on the street and DRY ,dusty, dirt road that was at 1 time a deep rutted you gonna need 35's or better to make it
I was dragging bottom in the ruts
they are a great street tire and did better than I thought they would in the above situation
how ever the slightest wet dirt = slicks
for about $120 per tire to your door + M&B they are a good buy
the smaller stock size would come close to $100 per tire

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Out of those, either the BFG or the Firestone...

Would typically tend to agree with you, but if he's going to get the BFGs, he should get the rehashed Long Trail Tours rather than the old asymmetrical Long Trails.

And if you buy from Sams, Costco, or any of the other big box places, LOOK AT THE DOT CODE!!! Make sure you aren't buying 5-10 year old tires!!

moparman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Firestone Destination LEs, 30k miles on them now and they are still great. If Goodyear makes a good tire, I haven't had them yet.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Firestone Destination LEs, 30k miles on them now and they are still great. If Goodyear makes a good tire, I haven't had them yet.

MTR's ,old style, 245/75 got close to 35K with not 1 flat and even wear
old got rid of them due to the need for a better DD tire

Wrangler AT/S ,again old style, got 30K and also even wear
only 1 flat due to a nail replaced them with the MTR's but sold them used
for $30 per tire as they were in good shape probably could have gotten another 20K out of them

MTR/K ,newest version of the MTR
just about as quiet as the AT/S's and very good road manners ,better than the old MTR's
I run these on my TJ which is trail mostly but I can tell you then do well on the road ,I can not tell you how many miles you would get out of them for 2 reasons
#1 then have only been on the market for a few months
#2 I may drive 5K miles a year in the TJ and I have to try to do that
so they will dry rot before I wear the out

Z28

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you to everyone who posted.

I purchased the Goodyear Wrangler ST (blackwall) tires from the independent service center I mentioned in my initial post. I could not find anything better at the price ($378), and I felt comfortable replacing the OE tires with the same.

moparman

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I purchased the Goodyear Wrangler ST (blackwall) tires from the independent service center I mentioned in my initial post. I could not find anything better at the price ($378), and I felt comfortable replacing the OE tires with the same.

It must never rain where you live.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

Cheap tires so your life is not worth much? :eek:Those are what they consider to me OEM tires just something to get the vehicle out of the factory. For just a bit more you could of gotten something good like the Firestone Destination ATs or even the Kumhos KL78s much better tires.

When buying tires cheaper is not better

BURE AGHALI

swahili for cheap is expensive!!!!