Worth the lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iiTempesT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright so I've heard that any of the OME, ironman or JBA lifts you put on your Jeep make them ride so much better. But would it be worth putting one on a Jeep with 130,000 miles?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Alright so I've heard that any of the OME, ironman or JBA lifts you put on your Jeep make them ride so much better. But would it be worth putting one on a Jeep with 130,000 miles?

Never too late, if stock suspension it has to be almost down on the bumpstops so yes huge upgrade no matter the miles

heavenbound

Reaction score
When you put a lift on the Liberty, does it cause you to need to replace any parts more quickly than you otherwise would have? What additional maintenance concerns are there?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
When you put a lift on the Liberty, does it cause you to need to replace any parts more quickly than you otherwise would have? What additional maintenance concerns are there?

Well thats a hard question to answer in a way
It changes the angles of ball joints ( easily corrected with JBA UCAs)
changes the rear driveshaft angle ( so if your u-joints are worn they will continue to wear out soon after)
Some will say CVs but my stock left side lasted over 190,000 miles, with over 170,000 of those lifted.
In the end parts that wear out will continue to do so, possibly at somewhat of a faster rate but not bad
UPSIDE is much improved ride and handling so well worth it
as far as concerned , I just bought a used 03 a month ago and its already to go under the knife and have a new lift installed soon
So I'd much rather have ride and handling than worry about possibly a few parts wearing that would wear if lifted or not

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well thats a hard question to answer in a way
It changes the angles of ball joints ( easily corrected with JBA UCAs)
changes the rear driveshaft angle ( so if your u-joints are worn they will continue to wear out soon after)
Some will say CVs but my stock left side lasted over 190,000 miles, with over 170,000 of those lifted.
In the end parts that wear out will continue to do so, possibly at somewhat of a faster rate but not bad
UPSIDE is much improved ride and handling so well worth it
as far as concerned , I just bought a used 03 a month ago and its already to go under the knife and have a new lift installed soon
So I'd much rather have ride and handling than worry about possibly a few parts wearing that would wear if lifted or not
Completely agree. both my CVs went about 5k after the lift. Had I lifted much earlier (like within 30-40k instead of 118) I think I would still have the originals

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That depends. How long do you intend to keep the Jeep? If your going to turn around and sell it in 6 months? No, it's not worth it. If you intend to keep it a while, want a lift, and it's in good shape? Yeah, worth it. I can't wait to put one on mine.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I haven't worn anything out quick with a lift. I wouldn't worry about it.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Of the 32-33 KJ lifts that have been installed at my place I think one or two have had to replace rear u-joints, a couple have had to replace CVs but most was due to age etc anyways.
So like mentioned , really not that much to worry about

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm at 122,000 now and already lifted with some junk Skyjacker springs... Totally worth it to me when I get the OME springs! It all depends on what your use for the vehicle is and how long you plan on keeping it. In the end of it all, it's your call.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Kind of disagree on the comments of how long you are going to keep it
Good ride / upgraded suspension is always worth it , at least to me.
Been very few of the 100 plus vehicles thats been in my driveway not to have had suspension upgrades done to them in one way or the other. But then I can't stand a sloppy riding car/ truck/ 4X4 , heck even the Harleys were fitted with different shocks :gr_grin:
Before I buy anything I know what I can do to improve the ride and handling on one

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Things you may want to consider is how well the Jeep has been maintained and if there is rust etc.
I wouldn't throw a thousand bucks into a lift if I thought it wouldn't pass inspection in 6 months, or if the engine burned a tremendous amount of oil and would soon need an overhaul. Miles don't matter as long as the body and drive train are solid.

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a good thing I live in MI, we don't have those pesky vehicle inspections :icon_lol:

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as mentioned , u joints are probably going to go after having been operated in a single orientation and been asked to do somehting differnt.

Cheap, easy and minor fix. Sub 150 Canadian dollar fix to have replaced, balanced, painted,

19.95 if your do it yourself less balancing.

iiTempesT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright thanks for the info. Here is some background info my Jeep, I'm most certain it was only owned by an old couple that used it to travel with so the thing only has highway miles on it. As far as the body goes its decent, the only places that there are rust are on the passenger door on the corner and my third brake light. The ****** may have been dropped out at one point due to the Y-pipe being cut out and crappily re-welded. As of right now the motor runs perfectly and I've switched it over to full synthetic oil.

Geof3

Reaction score
Kind of disagree on the comments of how long you are going to keep it
Good ride / upgraded suspension is always worth it , at least to me.
Been very few of the 100 plus vehicles thats been in my driveway not to have had suspension upgrades done to them in one way or the other. But then I can't stand a sloppy riding car/ truck/ 4X4 , heck even the Harleys were fitted with different shocks :gr_grin:
Before I buy anything I know what I can do to improve the ride and handling on one

Funny, I am the same way. Any vehicle I've ever had, particularly used, gets a tune up, fluids, tires (usually) and suspension, sometimes stock, usually an upgrade, that is the minimum. On the two wheeled side of things, I've owned a couple of new Triumphs over the years, and both have had upgraded suspension within a few miles of new. The used bikes I've owned, same as the above. NOTHING beats a good, solid suspension. Ever. Exhaust is a close second for me.

JavelinAMX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its just too damn hard to leave anything alone, besides where is the fun in that?

what did you have for triumphs?

Geof3

Reaction score
its just too damn hard to leave anything alone, besides where is the fun in that?

what did you have for triumphs?

05 Speed Triple, 06 D675, currently a 2014 Thruxton... Done the Ducati thing, Yamaha thing... always come back to Triumph. Just like them for some reason. Doing all the mods is what make this stuff fun. Usually it makes NO financial sense. Jeez, if we looked at this stuff from that perspective we would all be riding and driving pretty boring vehicles. It's just fun to "make it your own". Plus, I kind of believe in a bit of "Vehicle Karma". If you do most or all of your own wrenching it develops a sense of what you own, you know exactly how and what was done to it and you can develop a bit of a bond. It seems to just be part of the "experience" for me.

JavelinAMX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i love the character that my fathers bonnie has, some day I hope to restore it. sometimes while riding my d675r I wish that I got a street triple or thruxton so I was more comfterable and easier on my wallet, but the bike is just so damn awesome. next one might be a speed triple or a sprint st.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.