Wont Start?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Victor Ray

Reaction score
KJ will not start?
I took out the MAP Sensor cleaned and reinstalled, now will not start?

boxbuster

Reaction score
I recently cleaned my MAP sensor to get rid of a check engine light. You have to be real careful when cleaning one (and use a safe cleaner) so damage wont be done. I saw a guy use carb cleaner on one on YouTube and it ruined it. He had the same situation as you - car ran terrible, but threw a code, he removed, cleaned with carb cleaner, then no start.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I read on LOST a long time ago that the MAP Sensor is very delicate...no using Toothbrush, harmful chemicals etc.

They did recommend using Brake Cleaner Spray which is what I use every few months for the last 19 years with no issues.;)

boxbuster

Reaction score
Yes, I got tired of removing, cleaning and reinstalling every so often, and decided to install a catch can. It only took a few minutes to put the can on, and I haven't had a problem since. I paid around $25 for it on Amazon and it was so worth it!

Victor Ray

Reaction score
What is the catch can for?

I got it running!
More problems, though?
When I first fire it up it does not start the first time, second time around it starts and runs fine, with a very slight hesitation. Ok I can live with that, accept after running for about 20 min's it starts running poorly, like it is on 5 cylinders?
What now?
Thanks for your very helpful input!!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I think it's for catching / collecting the blow by oil from PCV lines, that heads back towards intake manifold.
I dont have to worry so much anymore about that as I upgraded the PCV system while the parts were still available. https://www.jeepkj.com/threads/pcv-positive-crancase-ventilation-tsb.59367/
Cant remember, have you done a compression test, and installed NGK ZFR6F-11G at .040 inch?

Victor Ray

Reaction score
have not changed out the plugs! I do not think that is the problem, on all my years I have never had spark plugs, run fine for over 20 mins then start fouling! Most
likely the plugs are bad from get go.
I think it has something to do with the fuel.

boxbuster

Reaction score
I'm curious...what did you do to get it running?
Did you replace the MAP sensor?

The catch can (as LibertyTC mentioned) catches the oil that blows through that PCV valve line that connects behind the throttle body. My MAP sensor would always be oily (no carbon build-up though!), so I decided to install the catch can to see if it would help. I've had no problems since, so it was worth the small investment.

boxbuster

Reaction score
Ok. Glad you got it going!
If its an aftermarket map sensor though, you may get a trouble code on it later on, but for now since its working, you can deal with that later (if it even happens, but hopefully it wont!)

Now, what Im gonna suggest may be controversial to some, but if you suspect a fuel problem of a clogged filter, injectors, lines, gunked up fuel pump or whatnot, this stuff is cheap, worth a try and can work wonders (and I know this from first hand experience).

Go to your local auto parts store and get this: Berryman Products 0116 B-12 Chemtool Carburetor, Fuel System and Injector Cleaner, 15 Ounce Its about $3 a can.
Pour the whole can in your gas tank and let it run. The engine may sputter and carry on for a bit, but just pump the gas pedal to keep it going. You will also likely see a lot of smoke at first coming out the exhaust, but just keep it running and it will likely clear up after a few minutes run time.
This additive will not hurt anything at this point, but its not something you want to use frequently.

Victor Ray

Reaction score
I put two bottles of Heet in it, and I filled it up with Super Premium?
Im getting a little smoke out the tailpipe, white?

boxbuster

Reaction score
Yes, if its sat awhile, the Heet is good to help absorb a bit of water. You will see white smoke with most additives, so nothing to be alarmed about.
You can still add the Berrymans to it and hopefully it will clean your fuel system up and the engine will run smoother.