Won't start ... sometimes.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tundraboar

Reaction score
I have an 05 factory diesel that sometimes will turn over but simply won't start. This usually happens when the engine is warm and has been run for a while. However, I let it sit for 5-10 minutes and then it will start right up. The longest time I've had to wait is an hour. (In that event, it was a sunny summer day and the car was sitting in the sun. I pushed it into a shady spot and, after about 30-minutes it started.) Normally, there is no difference between summer and winter (latest event occurred last week). I started carrying a meter to check any codes on the engine when this happens, but nothing shows up. Generally, this is an annoyance more than anything. I'd appreciate knowing if anyone else has experienced this kind of problem as well as what might be the cause.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Check your ASD relay under the hood. Next time it acts up try switching the ASD relay with one of the other relays; there's a twin in there.

Might try bleeding air from the fuel system too.

Other suspects... cam or crank sensor.

mrhemi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would not turn over if the ASD is faulty. But the cam and crank position sensors are prime suspects. Most often they will not throw a code when the failure is intermittent.

Members online

No members online now.