won't start after oil change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

edsel60

Reaction score
changed oil and filter on my o6 crd liberty,stated up and ran for 5 seconds.now it won't start.60,000 miles,always ran great. any thoughts

Adam Roby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have any ideas, but I am wondering... did it run for 5 seconds and shut off itself or you shut it off and now it won't start?

I guess you swapped the oil filter, I wonder if a defective filter could block the flow and cause something strange to happen... are you sure you did not accidentally knock off a plug/cable/hose while replacing the filter. I hate these kinds of problems, you always question if it was just bad timing or something you did.

metalmoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know some cars will not run, without oil pressure. Check oil pressure sensor, perhaps it was clogged from debris in your dirty oil. Try a new oil filter, perhaps you got a bad one.
Bypass oil pressure sensor, and see if she will run. But don't run it long, in case the oil is not pumping through the engine... I just know that some cars will shut off ignition, if sensor reads no oil pressure. A safety to keep you from destroying your engine. But just a thought, not sure if Jeeps have this feature...

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The CRD has a variable sensor for oil pressure ie. a three wire potentiometer.

Did you fit the correct oil filter...correct amount of Synthetic oil?
You may need to drain the oil again into a clean container, try another type filter, check the oil pressure sensor has its connector plug on firmly and check for any other sensors nearby that you may have disturbed.

edsel60

Reaction score
I thought it might be a bad oil filter,went out this morning to change the filter,decides to bleed the fuel filter,started right up. ordered a new fuel filter,went to pick it up and it died again after running a few seconds,bled it again. was running fine when I saw smoke coming from the electrical connection on the right[looking at filter] the one with the red and black wires,shut it off and pulled the plug,the connection from the red wire had melted. any ideas?

Last edited:

Adam Roby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not so sure its just a connector problem (unless the Liberty is known for this kind of issue). Normally smoke means it is drawing too much current somewhere, either a short or something forcing where it shouldn't.

edsel60

Reaction score
I now believe that the filter housing is leaking at the connector,causing a loss of fuel pressure.I also think that fuel got in to the connector,causing the connector melt down. am ordering a new housing,filter and wiring kit,will post the results.thanks to all for your input.wish me luck!

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I now believe that the filter housing is leaking at the connector,causing a loss of fuel pressure.I also think that fuel got in to the connector,causing the connector melt down. am ordering a new housing,filter and wiring kit,will post the results.thanks to all for your input.wish me luck!

do you need help figuring out the wiring kit P/n?

edsel60

Reaction score
received new fuel filter housing,installed housing,bled fuel filter,started up and seems to be running fine. thank to all that put in their input. I hope that this might help someone in the future! the fact that the problem showed up immediately after doing another thing caused most of the confusion!

edsel60

Reaction score
installed new filter and housing,bled the filter and it started right up.driven a couple days and everything seems fine.the fact that it would not run right after an oil change added to the confusion.