Wiring hella's independent of headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hectikart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to wire up my front bumper hella's today and would like an opinion. I was originally going to wire the switch to the parking lights, but I am thinking about running them using only the switch for on/off. I have heard some argue that this lets them also act as a set of backup lights in the event your factory headlights fail for some reason. The Hellas will still work since they're completely separate.

So any disadvantages to doing it that way other than having to remember to turn them off? And I assume I would wire the same way with the relay and everything, just not include the wire from the switch to 12v+ on the parking lights?

hectikart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I figured out the wiring. Instead of wiring the trigger to my headlights I'm going either wire right to the battery or ignition. Then I have an on trigger all the time and the switch in my dash is basically a kill. Still would like opinions on doing it this way vs. to the parking lights.

hectikart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks I'll keep that in mind. Does that go for aux. driving lights too? The wiring instructions said that fogs should be wired to the low beams, so as you said, they would shut off when highs come on...but it said driving lights are wired to the high beams.

Regardless, I just ended up wiring them straight to the battery, so I have full control of when they're on. I may re-wire them to the ignition at some point though, just so I can't forget to turn them off.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I have our roof lights hooked up on an seperate dedicated circuit, that way I can switch them on and off as I please.
Technically they should be connected to the high beam circuit so they "dip" when the high beams are turned off. The driving lights mounted above the winch are connected that way.
Keeps it legal that way.

infernicus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is my favorite way of wiring lights.

This is how to set up a three (3) position switch.
One is to have the lights come on automatically when triggered by another power source, ie: reverse lights/parking lights/high beams.
Two is off all the time
Three is turn them on independently.

• On the Switch
  • One side goes to fused power
  • Middle goes to trigger post 86 on relay
  • Other side goes to what you want to tap into (ie: reverse lights)

• On the Relay
  • 30 goes to fused 12v power
  • 86 goes to middle terminal on switch
  • 85 goes to a ground
  • 87 goes to Aux Lights

This is the correct Diagram to use with the wires going to where I just mentioned.
You must be registered for see images attach

These are the switches I used.
You must be registered for see images attach

SPDT CENTER-OFF ROUND ROCKER SWITCH | AllElectronics.com

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If you don't have them going through a relay do so right away, much safer
I have my regular OEM fogs hooked up so they go off with high beams on, the other two on the bumper and all roof lights I can turn on at any time ignition on or off etc

hectikart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea I did them with a relay...and they can be turned on/off whenever. I'm really happy with them. The hellas and low beams are basically the visibility equivalent to having my hi beams on all the time. I want to eventually add 4 daylighters on top, but want to build a metal frame to recess them into so they don't get ripped off by trees on trails. Then add 2 more in the back wired to the reverse lights.

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any good spot to tap into your headlights for your trigger?

Sent from my Home Phone using Tapatalk 2

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I installed my Hellas I followed the wire diagram included with them except the lead to my heads lights I ran to the battery instead to keep them separate.

Latest posts

Members online