Winter driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rukusjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So winter here in Chicago is around the corner and I'm wondering about the T-case that came with our 08 Liberty; the Command Trac. I do not have a lot of experience with the system only with Select-Trac from my 02 Grand. When driving on the highway during a snow storm would it good to put it into 4wd part-time or in the 08's case 4 LOCK? I usually put my Grand in Full-Time and forget about it, but since our Liberty came with a part-time system I'm curious since the system would bind if conditions are dry. Also would it start to hop when entering or exiting highway ramps when in 4LOCK? Or should I just rely on the other on board systems like ESP.
Thanks. :D

Jeepman56

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Part time 4 wheel is for icy and snowy road conditions with no exposed dry concrete. This system causes the tires to rotate at the same speed therefore has issue on dry road surfaces during turns and can cause damge to your Jeep. For more information looj at this thread...
Part Time 4wd

rukusjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies and help folks I greatly appreciate it. According to Jeeps website you can engage 4LOCK at any speed. But I'll just follow the general rule of thumb and only in engage under 55MPH, beside if you need that kind of traction you shouldn't be driving that fast anyway. So I guess that would be one difference between the old Command Trac versus the new.

Little off topic but I just found this interesting I took a peek at the Land Rover site to compare the LR3 to the Liberty and it seems that the LR3 has a little bit over the Liberty as far as transfer ratio's.

LR3 = 2:93:1
'08 Liberty = 2:72:1

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Well yeah I noticed that you can shift at any speed now, but man that's scary shifting into 4WD at 90MPH. Something's gotta break.... right? :)

t_bois

Reaction score
I've shifted into 4 hi at 70MPH because the roads were dry until I hit a place where the snow had blown over the road and created a sheet of ice, sometimes it happens, where I live it happens a lot.

In rain, I don't think I would ever use 4WD on a paved road even if there was a foot on water on the road. Now if there was mud on the road, or something else that makes it slick (you'll know because the Traction Indicator on the dash will flash), then I'll put it into 4WD.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4wd part-time should never be used on roads that have exposed surfaces, even if they are wet.

Part-time should only be used when the road is totally covered in snow or ice, and offroad of course.

rukusjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a question JeepJeepster, can I turn when conditions are right to use 4WD part-time? Meaning if I'm caught in a snow storm and I need to make my next exit can I still have 4WD part-time engaged? Going down a highway would mean going straight most of the time until you need to take an off ramp. :)

JIMMY JEEP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can turn when using 4wd part time so long as the wheels are on a slippy surface ,deep snow mud ect but not if theres any chance that there could be clear pavement underneath your tyres, as you will get transmission wind up and possibly break somthing.