Windshild washer res. bottle leak?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drfd74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm having issues with my 07 KJ's washer bottle leaking at the pump base location. Ever since I had to drain the tank to put a better fluid that wouldn't freeze up. I removed one of the lines to the pump to drain it & must have broke the seal from the factory or something. I pulled out the pump checked the seal & looked alright so used some silicone sealer & worked for a while but now leaking again after I topped it off after checking my oil.
Now this time after draining again I pulled out the pump & cleaned off old sealer and checked seal/pump/ & bottle for any cracks & all good. This time I used some black silicone windshield sealer that I had, let it sit over night and refilled in a.m. w/ cheepie blue -20' stuff I used earlier and so far so good. BUT.........what a PITA.
Now what I need to know, is it just me or have any of you had a same problem?
Appreciate any comments.
drfd74

Last edited:

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rubber grommet that the pump pushes into just dries out and gets hard then its not as good of a seal to the pump. A new grommet for it usually fixes it, but that windshield sealant will hold that sucker for a long time i bet. I used to use that stuff to fix fixed window pains on campers and rv's too, they usually put them in with this butyl sticky tape, then the tape dries out and they leak and rattle. I haven't had one of those fail yet after fixing them, even on skylight windows, so it should seal that up for a while as long as both surfaces were good and clean so it adhered well.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online