Windshield wipers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am obsessive about having a clean, streak free windshield. I had just put on new wipers and someone egged my Jeep. I found it frozen to the winshield the next morning. I was already running late so I scraped as much off as possible and let the wipers do the rest. It ruined my blades.

Today I discovered Bosch Icon Wiper Blades. First off, they are the easiest pair of wipers to install. This is the whole blade, not a refill. In fact, they don't even use the metal carriage, they're just a super stiff piece of rubber. And the had a wind deflector along the length of the blade that catches the wind and hold them to the glass. There is no skipping, no streaking and no spots the wipers missed. They cost about $35 for a pair, but AutoZone has a $15 mail in gift card. Other than the cost, they are perfect.

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the frozen egg thing.

Would you mind giving the product number or link for these wiper blades? Or is it one of those things where you give the model of your vehicle and it automatically shows the compatible wipers?

I'm getting sick of these stock ones making that screeching noise. Thanks.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
this is different from the microedge right?

it's time for me to get new ones too......
always used bosch. clearest wipers i've used.......even when it gets a bit bad, still wipes at acceptable levels.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
VTNomad said:
I am obsessive about having a clean, streak free windshield. I had just put on new wipers and someone egged my Jeep. I found it frozen to the winshield the next morning. I was already running late so I scraped as much off as possible and let the wipers do the rest. It ruined my blades.

Today I discovered Bosch Icon Wiper Blades. First off, they are the easiest pair of wipers to install. This is the whole blade, not a refill. In fact, they don't even use the metal carriage, they're just a super stiff piece of rubber. And the had a wind deflector along the length of the blade that catches the wind and hold them to the glass. There is no skipping, no streaking and no spots the wipers missed. They cost about $35 for a pair, but AutoZone has a $15 mail in gift card. Other than the cost, they are perfect.

I bought these too last... tired of the cheap ones and they are worth it! Thanks for the tip on the gift card, as my KJ could use new blades.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
the one I picked up for like 5 bux last year still holding up well.
it's a rallye brand....
hard to find 11" wipers

jackie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed the Bosch Microedge ones today because I couldn't find the ones you recommended at autozone... I did it in the middle of the pouring rain and didn't mess anything up... so I am stoked.\:D/ They work so much better than the ones that were on before ( I guess they were stock unless the magical elf ex changed them without me knowing)[/b]

4Factor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Apparently this product is exclusive to Canadian Tire only so you guys south of the border probably can't get them at Autozone, etc. but aside from all the lame hype (silly tv ads) they are actually a really good blade.

Reflex Wiper Blades

I bought them for the Liberty last winter (installed Jan 2/05), and they're still rinning strong this winter. Since usually our winters force us to buy new blades every year, this is a plus that I'm getting a 2nd season out of them. Yeah, of course they're more expensive, but spending $40 once is better than spending $30 twice.

Now to look into that "Hot Wash" thing... I wonder if it's just "Hog Wash"

Hot Wash

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4Factor said:
Now to look into that "Hot Wash" thing... I wonder if it's just "Hog Wash"

Hot Wash
Down here in the states one of the auto makers is advertising heated wiper fluid to help clear your windows in winter. Its only supposed to be 150F but I just can't see applying hot fluid to a super cold window - seems it would be a sure-fire way to be visiting your local windshield dealer 8-[

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Steaming fluid

It's Buick that's advertising heated fluid. I wonder why they heat it up to 150 degrees. Most adults will suffer third-degree burns if exposed to 150 degree water for two seconds. Would 100 degree water not suffice? Hell, 40 degree water will melt ice. I can't wait for the lawsuits.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, wouldnt the fluid just coat the windshield then freeze? I dont care how hot it is, its going to freeze at some point. I would say they make you buy some special fluid from the dealer. :-k

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can buy washer fluid that helps melt ice for like 50cents more than the regular fluid at just about any auto part store or walmart. It contains methonal, it's not perfect but better than just regular washer fluild.

You can pick up this stuff from walmart for about 2.25

http://www.motoringtv.com/quakerstate/rainx.php

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not methanol

It's not methanol in washer fluid, it's ethelyene glycol. Just as toxic though, both cause blindness and eventually death.

2003KJ

Reaction score
apply a good coat of rain-x on a regular basis. Doesn't get rid of the ice/snow/frost and other winter crap, but makes it MUCH easier to scrape off.

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rain-X

Never noticed that with ice & snow, but it sure does the trick for bug guts. I first started using it when my windshield wiper switch went out on my Ranger, no need for wipers with Rain-X. I swear by their washer fluid, nothing else goes in my jeep.

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: Not methanol

VTNomad said:
It's not methanol in washer fluid, it's ethelyene glycol. Just as toxic though, both cause blindness and eventually death.

No it's Methanol, it's on the label it's self.

Yes it is bad for you, but so are so many other things that you use on a daily basis that you probably don't even relize. Just look at the MSDS for gasoline, pretty damn toxic and flamabale stuff. Spray paint is damn dangerous too, along with fumes from a flux-core welder. Just be sensiable and don't drink it or go for a swim in it.

dnm45227

Reaction score
Eddo is right. At least some washer fluids contain Methanol. Also about the MSDS issue. You would be surprised at what is deemed to be bad for you or the environment.

Latest posts

Members online