Windshield Mounted Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ocfc494

Reaction score
hey everybody!! so I made my own install for windshield mounted lights on my 06 KJ! it is fairly simple!

Tools:
Socket set
Wire strippers
Knife
Flat Head screw driver
Lights + Harness

for my install I went onto amazon and purchased a set of 2 Niight LED Driving lights for $33 and a Eurolight Wiring Harness for another $15. the lights are bright for such a cheap price too!

Steps: (for if you have a wiring harness)
1) pop the hood and disconnect the negative and positive battery cable

2) connect the negative line from the relay to the negative batter

3) same thing as step 2 but for the positive

4) mount the relay near the fuse box...now on my harness the wires were short from the battery so I have the relay hidden on the side of the batter and tucked the wires out of the way

5) take the trim piece off the plastic cover where the wipes and washer spout is ( the rubber piece)

6) pop each of the plastic clips out ( should be 4 or 5 total)

7) you can either take the wiper arms off at this point or cut the foam pads at the end of the plastic cover off for now. I cut the foam, its easy.

8) now here comes the tricky part...find a mounting spot for your lights on the plastic cover. I chose the flat part near the edge. BUT make sure your wipers wont hit the lights!! start on the driver side, as the harness should have a short side of connecting wires

9) mark and drill out the hole for your mounting screws

10) mount your lights and then drill another hole for the wire to come through the plastic cover so they are hidden out of sight as you can see in this picture
You must be registered for see images attach

11) lift up the plastic cover and reach in and grab the negative and positive wires off the lights and connect them to one side of the wiring harness

12) Repeat steps 8-11 for the passenger side

13) while the plastic cover is still lifted, run the harness wires under it in the open area where the wiper links and washer fluid lines are. make sure the harness is away from the fluid lines so it wont leak and short out your lights!

the wires should look hidden like this

14) by now you should have the lights mounted and the wires ran under the plastic cover and tucked out of view. take the flexible trim piece that you removed and notch out where it meets the wires

15) reconnect your battery

16) attach your switch and make sure the lights work! if not, retrace the steps and find the problem

17) run the wires for the switch down the opening near the hood strut on the right side. unless you have a hole in the firewall ( which KJ's don't) then go through there. if not go near the hood strut.

18) fish the wires through the hole when the door is open...I have blue lights for my car because I am in the fire department, that's why I have so many wires

last step ! find a mounting spot for your switch and you're all set! sorry for the lack of pictures, I wrote this after I was done installing. didn't think people would need a write up but hey, I gave it a shot. any questions just comment!

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
KJs do in fact have a hole where wires can be run through the firewall. I have all of my wiring ran through the firewall
Running through the way you did will cause undue stress on the wires which will or could lead to a short.
Also you may find that on rougher/ uneven roads that your lights will bounce around quite a bit since there is nothing to really hold them tight mounting to the plastic.

Just some things to think about

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or you could have made your + wire hookups from the battery to the lights all under the hood, using an inline fuse and relay. Then use the switch in the cabin to complete the ground to trip the trigger (terminal 85 on the relay). If a - switch wire then ever got chafed and grounded out, the worse that would happen is the lights would go on.

ocfc494

Reaction score
KJs do in fact have a hole where wires can be run through the firewall. I have all of my wiring ran through the firewall
Running through the way you did will cause undue stress on the wires which will or could lead to a short.
Also you may find that on rougher/ uneven roads that your lights will bounce around quite a bit since there is nothing to really hold them tight mounting to the plastic.

Just some things to think about

ive tested them out and they're pretty solid! where is such firewall hole you have? i cant seem to find it.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
ive tested them out and they're pretty solid! where is such firewall hole you have? i cant seem to find it.

From others trying it before they shake
Hole/pass thru is in the steering column area
Can see it better from inside then outside in engine bay

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The easiest way to find the hole in the firewall is to pull the carpet back on the driver's side and follow the weld seam up towards the front of the jeep and you'll see an oblong plug that's usually half covered with a sealant (like silicone). Just pop the plug out with a screwdriver.

Johniebravo

Reaction score
hey everybody!! so I made my own install for windshield mounted lights on my 06 KJ! it is fairly simple!

Tools:
Socket set
Wire strippers
Knife
Flat Head screw driver
Lights + Harness

for my install I went onto amazon and purchased a set of 2 Niight LED Driving lights for $33 and a Eurolight Wiring Harness for another $15. the lights are bright for such a cheap price too!

Steps: (for if you have a wiring harness)
1) pop the hood and disconnect the negative and positive battery cable

2) connect the negative line from the relay to the negative batter

3) same thing as step 2 but for the positive

4) mount the relay near the fuse box...now on my harness the wires were short from the battery so I have the relay hidden on the side of the batter and tucked the wires out of the way

5) take the trim piece off the plastic cover where the wipes and washer spout is ( the rubber piece)

6) pop each of the plastic clips out ( should be 4 or 5 total)

7) you can either take the wiper arms off at this point or cut the foam pads at the end of the plastic cover off for now. I cut the foam, its easy.

8) now here comes the tricky part...find a mounting spot for your lights on the plastic cover. I chose the flat part near the edge. BUT make sure your wipers wont hit the lights!! start on the driver side, as the harness should have a short side of connecting wires

9) mark and drill out the hole for your mounting screws

10) mount your lights and then drill another hole for the wire to come through the plastic cover so they are hidden out of sight as you can see in this picture

11) lift up the plastic cover and reach in and grab the negative and positive wires off the lights and connect them to one side of the wiring harness

12) Repeat steps 8-11 for the passenger side

13) while the plastic cover is still lifted, run the harness wires under it in the open area where the wiper links and washer fluid lines are. make sure the harness is away from the fluid lines so it wont leak and short out your lights!

the wires should look hidden like this

14) by now you should have the lights mounted and the wires ran under the plastic cover and tucked out of view. take the flexible trim piece that you removed and notch out where it meets the wires

15) reconnect your battery

16) attach your switch and make sure the lights work! if not, retrace the steps and find the problem

17) run the wires for the switch down the opening near the hood strut on the right side. unless you have a hole in the firewall ( which KJ's don't) then go through there. if not go near the hood strut.

18) fish the wires through the hole when the door is open...I have blue lights for my car because I am in the fire department, that's why I have so many wires

last step ! find a mounting spot for your switch and you're all set! sorry for the lack of pictures, I wrote this after I was done installing. didn't think people would need a write up but hey, I gave it a shot. any questions just comment!

How do these do in the wind/ heavy rain? Interstate noise? Still very stable after a little bit of time?

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do these do in the wind/ heavy rain? Interstate noise? Still very stable after a little bit of time?

Honestly your best bet would be to add reinforcement under the cowl while you're at it
Fab something small so that there's no play when you push up/down and then mount the lights there if you want them only in that spot
If you don't mind where you put them I'd put some on the front bumper- but still need to add reinforcement to it

The cowl/bumper isn't very sturdy at all especially when mounting something to it, and in a worst case scenario could probably rip off with high wind

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Easy to install on the front bumper, have to pull the cover off , but that takes no time at all. Then mount right over and into the front of the frame horns, solid as a rock