Window Regulators

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cableguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, i know my jeep loves me. 3 days after i get home from iRack, the right rear window regulator craps out. PITA to replace by the way, since you have to take the movable glass out to do it. The drive cable separated from the little guide the window rides the track on. $130, and 4.5 beers later, it's all working again. :D. On the bright side, $130 gets you a new motor, drive cable, track and hardware.

Anybody else had problems with em? It sounds like the left one is starting to crap out on top of it all. it's an '02, so I'm not surprised the first one broke, but i might be irate if the left side crapped out on top of it.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go get another 6 pack and you'll be less irate if it goes out ;) That logic usually seems to work for me.

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every window regulator I have ever replaced requires you to do that. Honestly, it is one of the easiest repairs I have done on more major components of the car. On a side note, you COULD get away without removing the glass as long as you prop it up in place with 2x4s and don't bump them as you pull the assembly out. Aftermarket regulator/track/motor assemblies are just as good and cost a lot less and, depending on the age of the car, a lot more may be available of better than OEM quality. I replaced the same regulator on my Ford twice because the first time I had used what was supposed to be a newer salvage part and it lasted about 2 years. Once you disconnect the bolts on the window, it slides right out. Then it's just disconnecting the track and pulling it through the access holes in the door frame and putting the new one in. Helps to have a second person, but by myself I can do it in under an hour and not spill any profanities or get worked up. Replacing the rear spark plugs on that stupid 2.5L V6 on the other hand.... Screw Fords. I love Chrysler engines - most face have the cylinders facing the fenders, not the firewall and radiator. Nice and easy to change the spark plugs.

cowdogg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had both rear regulators go out within 5 minutes of each other on my '03. What are the chances of that? You can find them online for $70-$80 and a guy on ebay rebuilds them and sells them for $50 with a one year warranty. I'll probably try him next time.

Cableguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had both rear regulators go out within 5 minutes of each other on my '03. What are the chances of that? You can find them online for $70-$80 and a guy on ebay rebuilds them and sells them for $50 with a one year warranty. I'll probably try him next time.
Yeah, i looked at that, but i don't have enough patience. I've got some time off, and the dealer had one in stock, so i just went up and grabbed it. Dude looked really confused when i walked in with a printout of the parts book with the PN i needed highlighted. :D ***** for you that they both went out at the same time though.
Once you disconnect the bolts on the window, it slides right out.
You ever taken your back glass out? It's a pain because of the aft channel/non-sliding section. This is actually the first time I've had to pull the glass to replace a regulator in any vehicle, and I'm glad i did because of the way it's setup in there. propping the glass up isn't really feasible because of where the regulator has to come out, unless you tried duct taping it to the door or something. It was only like a half hour process, but it was an irritating half hour.

joeg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just had my left rear window reg. replaced under warranty. Dealership paperwork showed a charge of $47.00 Plus change for the regulator.

Cableguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just had my left rear window reg. replaced under warranty. Dealership paperwork showed a charge of $47.00 Plus change for the regulator.

Wow, my dealer quoted like 300 something. This is why i do things myself. The stealerships down here are crazy.

joeg

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I apologize...I misread the paperwork. The $47.00 was for blower motor and wheel (recall) the regulator was $75.00 with about $45.00 for installation (warranty)..