Wind resistance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04RkMtnKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just another MPG question. I went on a short trip yesterday. Filled up right on the interstate before I left and filled up right when I pulled into town and I goet just over 17MPG all interstate miles. I usual average 13-14MPG in town driving. Now I know I drive a SUV and shouldnt expect awesome mileage but it seems that other owners are getting better than that. My KJ is all stock....no lift, bigger tires etc.

The only thing I can think of that I did add was a Renegade basket that I bought from someone here in town. I put it on the day I got the KJ so I am not sure if that decreased the mileage. Any suggestions on that would be awesome. I am not sure if the front of the basket cause enough resistance that it decreases the mileage that much. Do renegade owners that have the basket get worse gas mileage than limited owners or sports. I know the aftermarket racks cause a decrease but it seems like they are more off the roof and straight up and down. The renegade baskets are more slanted and aerodynamic like a fairing.

I am going on a long 2000 mile trip in a few weeks and would like to get the best mileage possible. Looks like I am going to be taking the basket off possibly.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '04 Limited (stock) gets 17 to 18 city, and upwards of 21 on the highway. I'd take off your basket and see what happens!

And let us know...

2003KJ

Reaction score
my 03 stock gets 14-15 city and no idea highway cause i hardly do high way driving...lol. Wish i could squeeze some more mpg out of her. Running a can or Techron fuel injector cleaner through to see what happens.

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
04RkMtnKJ said:
Just another MPG question. I went on a short trip yesterday. Filled up right on the interstate before I left and filled up right when I pulled into town and I goet just over 17MPG all interstate miles. I usual average 13-14MPG in town driving. Now I know I drive a SUV and shouldnt expect awesome mileage but it seems that other owners are getting better than that. My KJ is all stock....no lift, bigger tires etc.

The only thing I can think of that I did add was a Renegade basket that I bought from someone here in town. I put it on the day I got the KJ so I am not sure if that decreased the mileage. Any suggestions on that would be awesome. I am not sure if the front of the basket cause enough resistance that it decreases the mileage that much. Do renegade owners that have the basket get worse gas mileage than limited owners or sports. I know the aftermarket racks cause a decrease but it seems like they are more off the roof and straight up and down. The renegade baskets are more slanted and aerodynamic like a fairing.

I am going on a long 2000 mile trip in a few weeks and would like to get the best mileage possible. Looks like I am going to be taking the basket off possibly.

Keep the basket on for a litte longer to get a good baseline, then take it off and see what happens.

fujitsubo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious, how does the roof basket mount on the factory rails and does it come with a lock?

I'm interested in purchasing one from the stealership but they told me there's no lock on it. How do you keep it from theives I wonder?

rob

m0th

Reaction score
I have an 02 Renegade (pre-basket model). I added a Garvin Wilderness Rack, I have full OEM skids, plus the All-J superskid and boulderbars (which are v. heavy) and I average 18.8 combined (mostly highway but lots and lots of hills and mountains). Stock size Revos and no lift.

My style is to accelerate quickly to the speed limit and then stick to it (usually in cruise control).

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.