Will DC make a diesel hybrid Liberty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

squid729

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like DC already did this with 100 Dodge Rams

with gas projecting towards $3-$4/gal seems like interest in fuel efficient vehicles will continue to grow

http://www.wired.com/news/autotech/0,2554,66949,00.html?tw=wn_tophead_1

dont know about everyone else but i would love to keep the liberty styling and features but get better mileage and save $ on petrol. i have been unpleasantly surprised at just how poor our mpg is, didnt expect it be significantly worse than my 92 XJ but it is

wonder if there would be trade-offs and how they would affect performance

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
hm, a hybrid diesel..nice
that would be great.
sux how gas prices are going through the roof...

if it was just the eingines like in the current crop of hybrids right now..
it would just defeat the purpose of it being hyrbid (it's too heavy)
perfomance would drop significantly IMO

kegjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like a cool idea, with the gas going the way it is, its going to keep the lower income people driving smaller cars.

personally I wouldn't mind if gas was $3 a gallon, I wouldn't start thinking about finding a more fuel efficient car until it hits around $4

I'm on my first tank of gas in my '05 and im getting about 17mpg, 95% city driving. I'd say thats pretty good.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
kegjeep said:
personally I wouldn't mind if gas was $3 a gallon, I wouldn't start thinking about finding a more fuel efficient car until it hits around $4

I'm on my first tank of gas in my '05 and im getting about 17mpg, 95% city driving. I'd say thats pretty good.

I like what your attitude! I say just make more money, drive, and be happy. =D>

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
grogiefrog said:
kegjeep said:

I like what your attitude! I say just make more money, drive, and be happy. =D>

agreed...still, it sux that gas prices are going up like points in a pinball machine....

i knew what i was getting into in terms of MPG when purchasing the KJ...
these are the times i wish i still had my neon....

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
maybe in the future, but I doubt anytime soon. From what I have read, most manufacturers are still losing at least some money on their hybrids, and Jeep is a cash cow for DC, so I doubt they would want to hurt profits at this point. But I could be wrong. The weight penalty would be horrible though, I think.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember during the Gulf War, I was 20, driving my RX-7 over the Rockies and seeing gas in Vail, Colorado, for $2.50/gal. That was 15 years ago!

vintonalan

Reaction score
kegjeep said:
sounds like a cool idea, with the gas going the way it is, its going to keep the lower income people driving smaller cars.

#-o
OK here is my soapbox. I like diesels. I had a Dodge Quad Cab 1500 4x4 before my Liberty. I LOVED it. I HATED 11 MPG. with the price at the pump today, it would cost me almost 4 bucks to get to work and home.
I need 4WD. I am Engineering Supervisor for a TV station that when it snows, I gotta get to work. When the transmitter goes down, I gotta get on top of a 4000 ft. mountain. Living in the south, where farmers growing tobacco are going broke, why can't the gov'ment help farmers to grow corn. Lots of corn. To eat as we do now, but the rest, ALCOHOL for cars.
The USA can grow so much corn and stockpile it for fuel. And what I read, it's not too much of a modification to run gas engines on alcohol rather that gas... Maybe I'm missing something, dunno.. We can grow a lot more corn in the USA that they can in the Sahara desert..

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
vintonalan said:
kegjeep said:

#-o
OK here is my soapbox. I like diesels. I had a Dodge Quad Cab 1500 4x4 before my Liberty. I LOVED it. I HATED 11 MPG. with the price at the pump today, it would cost me almost 4 bucks to get to work and home.
I need 4WD. I am Engineering Supervisor for a TV station that when it snows, I gotta get to work. When the transmitter goes down, I gotta get on top of a 4000 ft. mountain. Living in the south, where farmers growing tobacco are going broke, why can't the gov'ment help farmers to grow corn. Lots of corn. To eat as we do now, but the rest, ALCOHOL for cars.
The USA can grow so much corn and stockpile it for fuel. And what I read, it's not too much of a modification to run gas engines on alcohol rather that gas... Maybe I'm missing something, dunno.. We can grow a lot more corn in the USA that they can in the Sahara desert..

well one reason is the oil lobby. Not sure about technical issues if there are any.