Will AX15 fit in my '06 KJ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Palozo

Reaction score
Good evening!

I have a 3.7L Jeep Liberty, automatic trans(42RLE), 4x4, Year 2006.
Its transfer case is NP 231J

I'm thinking seriously about a transmission swap (from auto to manual), but I want hear some opinion first.

It's almost impossible to find gearbox NSG370 (in Brazil) but AX15 is not so difficult.

FIRST
Everyone knows that AX15 matches perfectly to NP231 but I'm not sure about a wedding between AX15 and Porwetech 3.7L, how can I joint it?

SECOND
I would like to know measurements of AX15 (length)
Probably I will match AX15 and NP231J very well and match AX15 and 3.7L with no major problems, but If AX15 is too shorter than my current gearbox (42RLE) I'll have serious trouble with axle cardans and spend money to buy new custom cardans.

Thanks

Opinions?

Last edited:

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good evening!

I have a 3.7L Jeep Liberty, automatic trans(42RLE), 4x4, Year 2006.
Its transfer case is NP 231J

I'm thinking seriously about a transmission swap (from auto to manual), but I want hear some opinion first.

It's almost impossible to find gearbox NSG370 (in Brazil) but AX15 is not so difficult.

FIRST
Everyone knows that AX15 matches perfectly to NP231 but I'm not sure about a wedding between AX15 and Porwetech 3.7L, how can I joint it?

SECOND
I would like to know measurements of AX15 (length)
Probably I will match AX15 and NP231J very well and match AX15 and 3.7L with no major problems, but If AX15 is too shorter than my current gearbox (42RLE) I'll have serious trouble with axle cardans and spend money to buy new custom cardans.

Thanks

Opinions?
Any particular reason for switching to manual box?

2004 3.7 limited

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you weld/fabricate? Like you said you will most likely need custom drive shafts made for the swap. If you can fabricate the only thing holding you up would be any ECU/BCM issues. I'm not too well versed in how the auto trans interacts with them.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you weld/fabricate? Like you said you will most likely need custom drive shafts made for the swap. If you can fabricate the only thing holding you up would be any ECU/BCM issues. I'm not too well versed in how the auto trans interacts with them.

You would need to switch to a PCM for a manual trans KJ,all PCM and all TCM info is shared by both,remove the auto and the dash will light up like a christmas tree.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need a Dodge bolt pattern trans to fit the 3.7L V6. If you can't find one from a Liberty, a Ram or Dakota application may work.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

Latest posts

Members online