Why is 4x4 vibrating??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adonis BHK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anytime I switch into 4X4 high, I get a really nasty vibration that's noticeable on any smooth pavement above 30mph. I really notice it under acceleration, but not when I'm coasting. I switch the 4x4 off, let off the throttle, and it seems to go away.

As soon as I put it back into 4x4, it's back again.

Anyone getting this problem? What could it be from?

I'm running stock suspension and 16" winter tires and wheels. Can't say I noticed it with the summers because I didn't use 4x4 at all until the snow started to fly.

Thanks in advance!

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anytime I switch into 4X4 high, I get a really nasty vibration that's noticeable on any smooth pavement above 30mph. I really notice it under acceleration, but not when I'm coasting. I switch the 4x4 off, let off the throttle, and it seems to go away.

I'm running stock suspension and 16" winter tires and wheels. Can't say I noticed it with the summers because I didn't use 4x4 at all until the snow started to fly.

Thanks in advance!
If you are driving on pavement in 4HI you are probably experiencing binding in the drivetrain - the wheels all want to turn at the same rate but there isn't enough slippage (wet, snow, etc) to allow that to happen. Basically a big 'no-no' if you don't have the full time 4WD option in your t-case (Selec-trac) since you run the risk of having your t-case go 'boom'.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CorwyynQuote:
Originally Posted by Adonis BHK

Thanks in advance!

If you are driving on pavement in 4HI you are probably experiencing binding in the drivetrain - the wheels all want to turn at the same rate but there isn't enough slippage (wet, snow, etc) to allow that to happen. Basically a big 'no-no' if you don't have the full time 4WD option in your t-case (Selec-trac) since you run the risk of having your t-case go 'boom'.
Corwyyn is correct but some more info.............

All 4wd vehicles have a slightly higher gear ratio in the front axle,so when in part time 4wd the t-case is forcing the F/R driveshafts to spin the same so your front wheels are actually spinning a little faster then the rear to help keep you going straight in mud.In full time(select trac/select tracII) allows the F/R driveshafts to spin at different speeds allowing operation on hard/dry surfaces.If you have it in full time option it's not going into full time all the way and you need to get it checked out.

Treyz02KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Can we see another link to that blown out part time transfer case, the one thats missing like 1/3 of the casing.. it really makes you crenge after seeing that picture and hearing about someone in part-time on pavement.

Adonis BHK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the part time system.

I used to have an 88 Jeep Wrangler and when I ran it in 4x4 even on dry pavement, I couldn't notice any vibration like this.

This is really significant.

I realize I'm not supposed to use this on dry pavements, but when it gets raining really hard I like to throw it in 4x4 'just in case' and even with very wet and slippery pavement, it vibrates like a bugger.

It feels like if I go over 80kmh/h something is going to blow!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I used to have an 88 Jeep Wrangler and when I ran it in 4x4 even on dry pavement, I couldn't notice any vibration like this.

I realize I'm not supposed to use this on dry pavements, but when it gets raining really hard I like to throw it in 4x4 'just in case' and even with very wet and slippery pavement, it vibrates like a bugger.

DO NOT USE part time 4wd on pavement,the reason it feels like it's going to blow is because it is.

Remember aluminum front:eek:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct, 4Hi should never be used on dry/wet pavement. Only time I would use it on pavement is if its covered in snow.

If you were using Full time it would be normal to be a slight roar when youre on the gas. Its pretty loud in our XJ but not so much in my kj since its quieter inside.

DnvrJeepGuy

Reaction score

As others have said - don't do this, even on wet pavement. Let the traction control system handle your "just in case" situations. The traction control system in the Liberty is excellent - whenever I've had it kick it, it does exactly what it should do to help you maintain control, even in 2WD mode.

The only time I've used 4 HI on a surface street is in more than 4 inches of snow, and that was to get over the hump the snow plow left.

Otherwise you'll be spending a lot of money....

Duart

Reaction score
I am new here...with a new Jeep and a new problem. We have an 08 Liberty Ltd with SelectracII. We tried out the AWD in 4HI and got a "rumble" at highway speeds. Most notable between 40 and 60 mph. You can feel a vibration throught the steering wheel, gas peddle and drivers's floor. It goes away as soon as you put it in 2WD. The dealer says this is normal. We love the truck but this condition almost makes it undriveable.

Adonis BHK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's exactly what I've been experiencing.

It's NOT normal, regardless of 4wd system.

I know this because I used to have an old YJ, and occasionally ran it in 4WD on pavement when it was raining really bad, and I NEVER felt a vibration like this.

Yes, if I tried to turn to sharply I could feel it binding, but then it just reminding me to shift out of 4x4.

Also, when I borrowed my old mans F150, I threw it into 4x4 on dry pavement to see if his did the same thing, nope.

Not normal.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Why in the heck do people throw any 4 wheel drive into 4 wheel on pavement EVEN IF ITS RAINING??? :confused::confused::confused:It is not needed, do you not know how to drive in two wheel, only use 4 wheel drive WHEN you need it with snow and off road. I have only used mine twice in 114,000 miles both times interstates were solid ice, never use it if its raining or snowing unless of course its 6 to 25 inches deep or more:eek::D:D:D:D

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am new here...with a new Jeep and a new problem. We have an 08 Liberty Ltd with SelectracII. We tried out the AWD in 4HI and got a "rumble" at highway speeds. Most notable between 40 and 60 mph. You can feel a vibration throught the steering wheel, gas peddle and drivers's floor. It goes away as soon as you put it in 2WD. The dealer says this is normal. We love the truck but this condition almost makes it undriveable.
That is not normal for the selectrac t-case.

Adonis BHKThat's exactly what I've been experiencing.

I know this because I used to have an old YJ, and occasionally ran it in 4WD on pavement when it was raining really bad, and I NEVER felt a vibration like this.

Yes, if I tried to turn to sharply I could feel it binding, but then it just reminding me to shift out of 4x4.

Also, when I borrowed my old mans F150, I threw it into 4x4 on dry pavement to see if his did the same thing, nope.

Not normal.
Normal for the commandtrac.

The KJ and KK are not,and do not use the same stuff as other vehicles so every vehicle is going to be different.

Take it in to the dealer,you still got warrenty,if your so parinoid,they'll say the same thing,DON'T use partime 4wd on dry/wet pavement.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's exactly what I've been experiencing.

Not normal.

I would take it into the dealership and tell them exactly what is happening. I know your looking for an answer by posting but you received the answer. If you do not feel comfortable with the sound advice that has been giving by folks knowing these systems then just take it in.

Adonis BHK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HA! Just what I thought.

This apparently is NOT normal.

I asked the mechanic personally about using 4x4 on wet pavement and he said it's fine. The system is not for use on DRY pavement, but should not be a problem if it's raining. He took it for a drive and said there was definitely something amiss.

Problem likely in the hubs he thinks. I have to take in again next week because they need longer to work on it.

So there you have it, I'm not an idiot.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm glad he confirmed what you thought, that something is indeed wrong.

I will say that I still don't agree that PT-4HI should be used on wet roads, I think there is still too much friction and it would put un-needed stress on the system.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HA! Just what I thought.

I asked the mechanic personally about using 4x4 on wet pavement and he said it's fine. The system is not for use on DRY pavement, but should not be a problem if it's raining. He took it for a drive and said there was definitely something amiss.

Problem likely in the hubs he thinks. I have to take in again next week because they need longer to work on it.

That was easy!! Glad to hear they should be fixing "something". Now, please still take the word of advice regarding the use of PT-4HI on pavement regardless if its dry or rain. There is still a lot of friction even when the pavement is rained on.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HA! Just what I thought.

You're not an idio, Adonis. However, let me cut through some of the hyperbole. Part time 4wd should not be used on dry pavement, or wet pavement if your tires aren't slipping. Even wet pavement will give you tire/wheel scrub on a turn, and long trips will probably damage the transfer case.

You can use your 4wd in part time on wet pavement under very specific circumstances, and usually for a few seconds.

There are many people who live in places like Kansas and have no concept of hills. When my last set of street tires were at end of life, my rear tires would sometimes spin on a steep hill in Seattle, especially on wet roads that had previously been dry for weeks. That kind of road where you get that fine sheen of oil, and no matter how gently you gas it, your tires (especially if worn like mine were) would break traction. I would pop it into part time Hi for about two seconds, just enough to crest the hill, then pop it back out.

However, it sounds like from your description, you were running it in part time longer than that?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're not an idio, Adonis. However, let me cut through some of the hyperbole. Part time 4wd should not be used on dry pavement, or wet pavement if your tires aren't slipping. Even wet pavement will give you tire/wheel scrub on a turn, and long trips will probably damage the transfer case.

You can use your 4wd in part time on wet pavement under very specific circumstances, and usually for a few seconds.

There are many people who live in places like Kansas and have no concept of hills. When my last set of street tires were at end of life, my rear tires would sometimes spin on a steep hill in Seattle, especially on wet roads that had previously been dry for weeks. That kind of road where you get that fine sheen of oil, and no matter how gently you gas it, your tires (especially if worn like mine were) would break traction. I would pop it into part time Hi for about two seconds, just enough to crest the hill, then pop it back out.

However, it sounds like from your description, you were running it in part time longer than that?
Most likely and why he now has a real problem that could have been prevented.