Why Doesn't This Exist for US with RBK Factory Radios

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cjw3cma

Reaction score
The RBK radio (without sliders) has the 10-pin connector for the CD Changer. There are many variations of a plug in cable that allows the use of an AUX connection (to use your phone for music) but for the life of me I cannot find any for the RBK in our Liberty.

The pinout of the 10-pin CD changer connector -
You must be registered for see images attach

An example of the AUX cable that I can't find for my 2005 JEEP Liberty's RBK radio -

The description for the AUX cable says - plugs into the CD changer plug and allows for PLUG & PLAY.

Can anyone assist? Can one be made up as easily as it looks? Why don't they already exist?

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would be awesome if such a thing existed. I'm with you on hoping someone has a solution.

cjw3cma

Reaction score
Does this make sense - Find the female end of the 10-pin CD Changer connector / crimp the AUDIO R - the AUDIO L - The AUDIO GROUND wires from the 3.5mm Stereo Panel Mount Jack to the proper pins of the connector.

So when one plugs in their phone, will the RBK system "see" the signal from the phone and then play through the connection (once the MODE is pushed) ?????

That is what I think is needed as so many other cables are available for almost everything except our Jeeps.

Anyone do this already?

See any problems with my description?

If it works would you buy one?

I sure would. At 71, my hands do not work like they use to making it difficult for me to attempt this.

Opinions???????????????????????

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score

https://gromaudio.com/store/bt3_ada...2-09-bluetooth-adapter-car-kit-interface.html

have 2 of these. they're awesome. not cheap, but if you desire the factory radio and want BT capability, there you go.

eta:
Sebring has an RAZ headunit, which works fine.
Stratus has an RBK headunit, which will not display current time if the GROM is active (always shows 0:00 on the time display, and pressing the TIME button doesn't bring up the clock.) other than that it works fine.
Jeep has an RBQ headunit, and I haven't tried moving the GROM to it to see what it does wrong. maybe I'll get froggy and pull the head unit and put it in the stratus to see what happens.

Last edited:

cjw3cma

Reaction score

https://gromaudio.com/store/bt3_ada...2-09-bluetooth-adapter-car-kit-interface.html

have 2 of these. they're awesome. not cheap, but if you desire the factory radio and want BT capability, there you go.

eta:
Sebring has an RAZ headunit, which works fine.
Stratus has an RBK headunit, which will not display current time if the GROM is active (always shows 0:00 on the time display, and pressing the TIME button doesn't bring up the clock.) other than that it works fine.
Jeep has an RBQ headunit, and I haven't tried moving the GROM to it to see what it does wrong. maybe I'll get froggy and pull the head unit and put it in the stratus to see what happens.

$140 for what other car owners can get to work for less than $20????????????????
THAT alone is a problem unless money is not an object.

Seems there HAS TO BE a reason that the approach I outlined is not available to us. I don 't know why either.

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does this make sense - Find the female end of the 10-pin CD Changer connector / crimp the AUDIO R - the AUDIO L - The AUDIO GROUND wires from the 3.5mm Stereo Panel Mount Jack to the proper pins of the connector.

So when one plugs in their phone, will the RBK system "see" the signal from the phone and then play through the connection (once the MODE is pushed) ?????

That is what I think is needed as so many other cables are available for almost everything except our Jeeps.

Anyone do this already?

See any problems with my description?

If it works would you buy one?

I sure would. At 71, my hands do not work like they use to making it difficult for me to attempt this.

Opinions???????????????????????

Looks like it should work. I’m thinking that you must turn the radio to CD to get that input thru.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$140 for what other car owners can get to work for less than $20????????????????
THAT alone is a problem unless money is not an object.

Seems there HAS TO BE a reason that the approach I outlined is not available to us. I don 't know why either.

Yes, but it's also a full blown bluetooth adapter, that works with the OEM radio. Even certain functions on your phone are controllable from the radio buttons. Oh, and it works really well.

Brian02KJ

Reaction score
I see it says the Grom kit isn’t compatible with Infinity Sound, which my ‘02 Limited has. Anyone know why it wouldn’t work?

Brian02KJ

Reaction score
As an update, I took a chance and ordered one of those Grom Bluetooth kits and installed it on my Liberty today. It works perfectly with my factory RBP head unit/Infinity Premium Sound and has crystal clear audio both on calls and while playing music.

Last edited:

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As an update, I took a chance and ordered one of those Grom Bluetooth kits and installed it on my Liberty today. It works perfectly with my factory RBK head unit/Infinity Premium Sound and has crystal clear audio both on calls and while playing music.

Try hitting the TIME button and see if it works. that appears to me to be the only thing that doesn't work with the GROM+RBK combo. you're stuck looking at 0:00 on the display. :D

I went through the hassle of swapping an RAZ head from the minivan for the RBK I had in the jeep, just because I wanted the TIME button to work. :D

cjw3cma

Reaction score
Can we get back on track here? Appreciate the talk about GROM and other alternatives, but my question is specific - can we make a cable setup that works with the RBK radio like the example shown? Has anyone done this yet? Is there a known reason why this has not been done that I am unaware of?

Brian02KJ

Reaction score
If you buy the wire harness for the factory CD changer or a matching aftermarket adapter harness (like what comes with the Grom kit, for example) I’m sure one could be made as a plug and play option. Whether the radio HU ‘sees’ it active and switches input modes properly is probably much more complicated.

Brian02KJ

Reaction score
Can we get back on track here? Appreciate the talk about GROM and other alternatives, but my question is specific - can we make a cable setup that works with the RBK radio like the example shown? Has anyone done this yet? Is there a known reason why this has not been done that I am unaware of?

https://gromaudio.com/store/aux1_adapters/chrysler-dodge-jeep-aux-cable-input-car-stereo-kit.html

This is the ready made solution to what you’re asking for. I searched myself but have found no DIY alternative to add an auxiliary input to any Chrysler R-series radio like what the KJ Liberty uses.

8100LT

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
As an update, I took a chance and ordered one of those Grom Bluetooth kits and installed it on my Liberty today. It works perfectly with my factory RBP head unit/Infinity Premium Sound and has crystal clear audio both on calls and while playing music.
I too Have been looking into the direct connection option the original poster ask about. Finding nothing I ordered the Grom BT3 to use with my RBP radio with Infinity Premium sound system in a '02. It was a dead end and didn't work. Here is the reply from Grom:
"You must have the infinity sound system in your Jeep. This is a common problem with our systems and Jeeps. We list that this will not work with vehicles that have the infinity sound system. The ONLY way for it to work is for you to adjust the volume in am/fm and then switch to GROM mode, other than that it will not work the way you want."
Brian02KJ, are you able to adjust the volume using the radio?
Does your radio look like my photo, single CD and Cassette?

Attachments

• RBP Radio 2002.JPG
    RBP Radio 2002.JPG
    732.2 KB · Views: 10

Brian02KJ

Reaction score
I too Have been looking into the direct connection option the original poster ask about. Finding nothing I ordered the Grom BT3 to use with my RBP radio with Infinity Premium sound system in a '02. It was a dead end and didn't work. Here is the reply from Grom:
"You must have the infinity sound system in your Jeep. This is a common problem with our systems and Jeeps. We list that this will not work with vehicles that have the infinity sound system. The ONLY way for it to work is for you to adjust the volume in am/fm and then switch to GROM mode, other than that it will not work the way you want."
Brian02KJ, are you able to adjust the volume using the radio?
Does your radio look like my photo, single CD and Cassette?

Yes we have identical factory sound systems and that is exactly the issue it has with Infinity sound. I found out the same on my own when installing it, but just decided to make sure to adjust the volume to where I want it while in radio or CD mode before switching to Bluetooth.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I have one of these on the shelf now, since replaced by a GROM. It worked, but it exhibited the problem of aberrant volume control behavior, depending on which head unit it was connected to. I don't remember the precise details, but I think only the RAZ worked correctly.

Their are other variants of that out there, some for much cheaper.
You do realize that doing a direct plugin from the headphone jack into the line input on the CD changer port, is going to be a poorly balanced setup?

The issue is, some head units are less pleased with the missing data from the "changer", and react in different ways. Apparently the RBP just goes into "nope!" mode for volume control. If I had one I'd experiment with it. The RBK won't show clock time; stuck waiting for the "CD" to start playing.
Using any kind of adapter, be it a GROM or a $25 "adapter", is still going to cause some factory head units to wig out.

Latest posts

Members online