Why can't we have a Cummings diesel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rukusjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was wondering and doing a little research about diesel engines. They have gobs of torque and it seems that the new engines coming out from DC seem to be cleaner with less "ash" output. OK, so Cummins is synonymous with power and torque, so my question is why DC and Cummins can't get together and drop one of those bad boys into a Jeep? I keep hearing that Cummins is a much better and more efficient engine than DC's CRD? I don't know too much about diesels but from what little I have read it seems like a good idea to have one until DC or Jeep can develop a hybrid engine or something similar.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
The answer is simple. Cummins doesn't make a 4 cylinder diesel engine that is refined enough for passenger vehicle use.

People always talk about Cummins and diesel and Chrysler, but they don't understand vehicle design in general. Neither do I but it's a heck of a lot more complicated than dumping an engine in a steel shell and putting it on the street.

By "DC's CRD", are you referring to the 2.8L that's offered in the Liberty? The italian made engine surrounded by german electronics and american everything else? ;) The engine isn't made by "DC" or Mercedes-Benz, it's made by VMMotori.

There's a rumor running around that Chrysler and Cummins are working together on a small 4 cylinder diesel. I'll believe it when I see it.

DC doesn't exist anymore, BTW.

Last edited:

rukusjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marlon thanks for the education.
I didn't know that the 2.8L offered in the previous models were Italian. I thought that it was Merc. But that rumor you mentioned would be very intriguing. I think that would be a perfect marriage for Jeep and Cummins. Does the engine have to be a four cylinder? Doesn't Cummins make a inline six?
I was wondering since reading the forums, you seem to be pretty knowledgeable, are you an engineer? I don't much at all when it comes to cars, I'm a Chef actually but I do know what I like and what works for me.:)
What happened to Daimler?

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
The Liberty doesn't need a 6 cylinder diesel engine (I6 or V6). Too much power, too much weight and way too much money.

Chrysler DID use a 2.7L V6 diesel, but in the Grand Cherokee. That one WAS a Mercedes Engine.

The 2.5L and 2.8L diesel used in the Jeeps and Chrysler minivans was the Italian engine and Chrysler used them even before the Mercedes-Benz buyout.

I'm not an engineer. I used to want to be one, I hang around a lot of them, but I'm just me. :)

The 4 cylinder diesel barely fits under the hood as it is... no way will an Inline 6 fit. (And pass crash standards... HUGE impact on what's under the hood during vehicle design and certification.)

The 2.8L VMMotori engine is still offered in the Liberty, overseas of course as the Cherokee. But thanks to new injectors and other stuff it makes more power! (I wonder if it's any quieter, because this thing's loud!)

Daimler sold Chrysler. My opinion of the whole situation? Good riddance. No low-volume luxury car manufacturer had any business managing a high-volume every-day vehicle manufacturer.

Last edited:

dnm45227

Reaction score
come on marlon i love the growl, let's everyone know my wife's kj is not the same! you know how some of the guys who drive the big rigs drool over it at the pump, well you that same reaction when you tell someone who just asked what's wrong with your jeep?

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Neither of those engines are suitable for passenger car use though, that's the thing. They work well for what they do, but for cars, no.

and hehe, that growl is kinda sweet.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Again, the 3.0L CRD used in the Grand Cherokee is too expensive, too powerful and too heavy. It's also not built to withstand the duty of a Jeep (offroad/towing/hauling). It's a car engine for the most part, and it cannot be rebuilt. Not to mention, Chrysler has ALWAYS had to pay MB huge amounts of money to use the engine (and a heck of a lot more random parts/wiring harnesses) in their cars. Merger my rear end... I'm sure it's even more expensive to buy now that the company has separated.

In short, leave it in the E-Class.

Octane is measured differently over here... using a different method. I'm not sure how to compare the two.

Last edited:

rukusjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One reason why I posted this question is because most complaints stem from the gas mileage from this 3.7L. So here's another question, why is gas mileage improved after putting on some miles on the engine? When I had my '02 Grand Cherokee I was averaging 350 miles or more on one tank. When I purchased my Grand she had roughly 25k on it.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I've never really complained about the mileage from the 3.7L. I think it's pretty darn good, except while breaking in like you mentioned. Ouch!!!!!!!

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am sure there'll be a Diesel option in the Us in the next couple of years. I think the Grand Cherokee is supposed to be the first to have it, either in 2009 or 2010.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
GC already has its diesel engine. But will it remain the 3.0L? ;)

The Liberty CRD will be back in the US. No doubt about it. Chrysler said so themselves. Something along the lines of "Every vehicle will have an alternative fuel version." Diesel is considered an alternative fuel. :)

indianrefining

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Liberty doesn't need a 6 cylinder diesel engine (I6 or V6). Too much power, too much weight and way too much money.

Chrysler DID use a 2.7L V6 diesel, but in the Grand Cherokee. That one WAS a Mercedes Engine.

The 2.5L and 2.8L diesel used in the Jeeps and Chrysler minivans was the Italian engine and Chrysler used them even before the Mercedes-Benz buyout.

I'm not an engineer. I used to want to be one, I hang around a lot of them, but I'm just me. :)

The 4 cylinder diesel barely fits under the hood as it is... no way will an Inline 6 fit. (And pass crash standards... HUGE impact on what's under the hood during vehicle design and certification.)

The 2.8L VMMotori engine is still offered in the Liberty, overseas of course as the Cherokee. But thanks to new injectors and other stuff it makes more power! (I wonder if it's any quieter, because this thing's loud!)

Daimler sold Chrysler. My opinion of the whole situation? Good riddance. No low-volume luxury car manufacturer had any business managing a high-volume every-day vehicle manufacturer.

The 2010 Liberty (and Nitro) will be available with the new Cummins 2.8 I4. The Wrangler and Grand Cherokee (and Dakota) will offer the new Cummins 4.2 V6. And the Dodge Ram 1500 and Durango will have the new Cummins 5.6 V8. Bet on it.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I know about the 4.2L V6 and the 5.6L V8 and what they're all going into. I just haven't heard anything close to official (press releases) about the 2.8L I-4...

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Companies don't always issue press releases about everything they're working on.

Well of course, but with as diesel happy as Chrysler is, and that they've announced at least the 5.6L V8 for the 2009 Dodge Ram...... you get where I'm going with this?

Do you work for Cummins?