White Smoke in Reverse with Trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tcharleschapman

Reaction score
Hi All,

Have a utility trailer that is empty. Jeep is a diesel engine. Sometimes (not every time) when I put it in reverse I get some white exhaust. This does not happen when the trailer is not attached. Appears to only be when I'm in reverse up a slight incline.

Any thoughts? Again, only happens with the trailer attached.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Someone told me diesel smoke through a catalytic converter shows white but I only heard that once. Any GDE tunes installed?

The 2.8 CRD likes to crack it's head from overheating. With the engine cold open the pressure cap on the coolant resevoir and put it back on tight; run the engine at idle for a couple minutes and turn it off; open the cap again... If it releases pressure your headgasket may be blown or head might be cracked. Check your electric fan and the fan clutch, they go bad.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do not know what the trailer has got to do with it but white smoke is oil being burnt.
Could be worn rings or valve stems or over-filled with oil.

The oil dipstick should show just below the "full" level when the Jeep is parked on a level surface and engine has been run for a full seconds...oil drains down overnight!

So start the engine and let it run for a few seconds, remove the dipstick and leave it out for a while. Clean it off and check the oil level and make sure it is not above the "full" indication.

You should be using a fully synthetic oil...Lost has some good advise on these lovely/fickle CRDs of ours!

Possibly being on a slope with too much oil may cause a problem?:confused:

Latest posts

Members online