White smoke in 4WD?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oblivionnewtonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been cutting trees, using 4WD to haul the logs about 200ft to the alley. Noticed last week white smoke with an odd smell, not the usual sweet you'd associate with coolant in the oil etc. I changed the oil the next day, no foam, no milky residue. Just black oil. The PO, my former coworker kept the oil changed frequently, I've maintained the changes just as frequent.

Have not noticed it this past week on my commute. So today I took down the big tree, hauled logs and used 4WD. The smoke returned.

It almost smells like a chemical/fluid burning. Not oil, not coolant. It really has me dumbfounded.

I have some dye and a UV kit, may see if I can trace.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
From what area does it come from ?
That would help to narrow it down some

oblivionnewtonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what area does it come from ?
That would help to narrow it down some

Tailpipe. Again, not seeing it today on my commute. Seems to be when 4WD is engaged. Talked with a reputable 4WD shop, he suggested possibly a small head gasket leak that presents itself under heavier than normal loads.

I'll do a compression test this weekend. Also add some UV dye to coolant, see if it's in the oil.

Last edited:

oblivionnewtonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The engine has given me no issues until now. So the suspension was immediate need, all ball joints were worn and boots pierced.

What's the book say for valve seal job time? RockAuto has the newer style complete heads for $430 each.

oblivionnewtonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
or valve seals, more power being used in 4x4 so blowing more past

Understood. But it literally starts when 4WD is engaged, just idling, before I've moved under load. I've watched it in 2WD and have yet to see it blow smoke, even after 75-80 on highway to work.