Where Rear "Disc" Brakes an Option on the KJ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moab

Reaction score
Just wondering about the rear "Disc" Brakes on my KJ.
Was it an option in 2005?
Did it come as part of the Tow Package?

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Were rear discs an option? Don't think so. I still have the window sticker for my KJ and four wheel discs were standard.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
02's had drums, discs might have been an option. But from 03+, it was discs all they way around.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I bought my 04 Libby Sport I was surprised & pleased it came with rear disc brakes.

Also I was surprised & pleased that it didn't come with ABS. I thought all vehicles with four wheel disc brakes automatically came with ABS.

jeeper4life

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya my 04 has disc's in the rear also, which I was happy to find..

95Y "all my vehicles including the YJ have disc brakes in the rear" Jman

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I bought my 04 Libby Sport I was surprised & pleased it came with rear disc brakes.

Also I was surprised & pleased that it didn't come with ABS. I thought all vehicles with four wheel disc brakes automatically came with ABS.

Yeah, my 05 has disks.

ABS was an option in 05 at least on mine. I think starting with the 06 MY it became standard along with all the other safety stuff (ESC etc) mandated by the Fed Gov't.

Dave

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
No '02 had factory rear discs.
Every KJ/KK from '03+ had rear discs. Problem solved, hehe. It was strictly a model year change.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rear discs became a standard along with the ESP in 05-06. None in 02 and optional with the rest of years in between.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
and every time I hear that 05 was the first year for ESP I once again know I made the right choice in buying an 04 new

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rear discs became a standard along with the ESP in 05-06. None in 02 and optional with the rest of years in between.
and every time I hear that 05 was the first year for ESP I once again know I made the right choice in buying an 04 new
ESP was not a requirement and was not standard equipment on a '05.

I know this because my 2005 Limited dosn't have it.

So, Tom, you could have actually gotten the awesomeness that is the 2005 KJ without having to put up with the ESP crap.:burnout:

2006 on the other hand...

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score

The ESP and all the other crap was standard equipment starting in 06. Mine is an 05 and I don't have all that stuff. (Except I do have ABS which was an option in 05.......but standard equipment starting in 06 along with the ESP etc)

Dave