Where is the engine block ground located? Any pictures?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Phuc Nguyen

Reaction score
Beside two ground straps posted by LibertyTC, there is a main one connected directly from battery to engine block.
It is not easy to get to it, right behind oil filter, must removed engine mount bolt to the frame to get to it.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ya.. I don't see any reason to mess with the ground from battery. Keep your upper terminals clean & tight though.

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any idea what size these bolts are that go into the heads for the ground straps?

on my 06 KJ, when the ‘shop’ did the 3 month engine swap for the last owner, they conveniently snipped the ground straps off.

All the kj’s at my parts yard have donated their engines, and likewise, the ground strap.

IDK if you have the 05 factory service manual, has it all including grounds & even noise suppression info ++++
http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/2005JeepKJServiceManual.pdf
You must be registered for see images attach

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any idea what size these bolts are that go into the heads for the ground straps?

on my 06 KJ, when the ‘shop’ did the 3 month engine swap for the last owner, they conveniently snipped the ground straps off.

All the kj’s at my parts yard have donated their engines, and likewise, the ground strap.
Ahh! I found it! 06 parts diagram of all places. M8 x 1.25 stud!

jompigrande

Reaction score
Beside two ground straps posted by LibertyTC, there is a main one connected directly from battery to engine block.
It is not easy to get to it, right behind oil filter, must removed engine mount bolt to the frame to get to it.
Hello Guys, i hope this pictures and information can help someone else.
After doing some cable tube protection refresh on my liberty i noted that starter main ground was badly relocated to a bolt of the steering pump, so i decided to find the right place for it and started to look at the forum, this is the post that has the most accurate location that i can find, i cannot found any reference on the wiring schematics of "2003 - Jeep Liberty-Cherokee (KJ) - Factory Service Manual" for it.

"I found the mount position between the engine mount bracket on the driver side and the starter motor"

Im attaching a picture of the bolts that i buy at autozone to attach the ground terminat to the block.

This is what it looks after some sanding with a couple of copper washers:

And this is the ground mounted:

Regards, Jose

boxbuster

Reaction score
Jompigrande - thank you so much for posting all these pics! I have looked everywhere to find this info. and I think you are the only person to actually post a pic of where the ground wire attaches. I have a 2002 Liberty, but I'm hoping that once I get back under it, I will see this mount location. This is something that's so important, but often overlooked when troubleshooting electrical problems.

Lesman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the main ground is in front of the starter? Thanks for the picture. Did you access it by pulling out the battery tray?