Wheel studs from hell.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Xodius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one that has broken nearly every rear wheel stud? Never fails, nearly every time I remove the rear tires I bust a stud. I only have one original left lol. Anyone else have wheel studs that suck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Yes and No

... replaced those crappy OE lugs with McGards after I broke the first one. :D

Wait ... if you are breaking the studs you don't know your own strength! You mean the lugs don't you?

Last edited:

Xodius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No the studs that come out of the axles through the drum and the lugs go onto. I have broken/sheared off 9 on them with my star wrench. I am getting good at replacing them :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xodius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn! Were they rusted from the inside out or what?

Nope, when the lug breaks off you can see the steel/alloy is just twisted and looks a little like the James Bond logo. I showed my wife the latest and she said, "WTF! You eat your spinach today or what?" LOL. Funny thing is I am not a big guy.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my question is why are the seizing like that?
and in the desert no less
where humidity is not a problem
are you putting them on to tight?
I work on a very specialized piece of equipment and it has counter sunk bolts
similar to the lugs on any car
I found that they tend to get stuck also but my problem is broken 1/2" allen wrenches
my solution is to beat on the steel while applying "good" pressure
doubt you want to beat on your wheel with a 4# hammer

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Proper torque when tightening lugnuts and your problems will go away but must start with un-damaged wheel studs and lugnuts 1st.Also clean and dry threads,do not anti-seize as it will gum up after awhile and cause more issues.

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
been there done that, in the end i just replace all the stock studs and nuts. careful to not over tighten.

Xodius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All the stud issues started after I went to Discount Tire. One tech said he torques all lugs to 100 # and the other said 110 as you can never been too safe. I just use good old fashioned muscle. :throw:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Who knows what they their guns set at:shrug:
I've never let anyone install any tires or rotate any of mine. Still have the original lug nuts in good shape as well

Stevie

Reaction score
Hi All,

I was driving on the highway a few days ago when I heard a noise I began to slow down and pull over, but as I was pulling over my front passenger tire and wheel went flying off my Jeep Liberty. I was able to pull off of the road on to the shoulder and was very lucky. When I went to get my tire I noticed that the 4 of the studs came completely off and some of them were inside of the tire. Right now the insurance company has the Jeep and are looking into why this happened.

I tighten my lugs at 100 ft pounds in a star pattern & have no idea why this might have happened.

Does anyone have insight as to why this might have happened? Has anyone ever heard of this happening?

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't oil up the lug nuts do you? Never lube the tapered area of the nuts or wheels.
Or, maybe someone was attempting to steal your wheels, loosened the nuts and then got scared off.
Or, maybe someone was playing a prank on you.

Latest posts

Members online