wheel skins ??

Discussion in 'Tires / Wheels' started by XWrench3, Oct 18, 2020 at 1:52 PM.

1. XWrench3

XWrench3 New Member

ok, i have owned my KJ about a week now. someone prior to me owning it decided to paint the wheels black, which personally I despise. so about 3 days ago i noticed these on eBay,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2915162451...5134.N36.S2.typeWATCH_ITEM_ENDING_SOON.R3.TR3

has anyone here tried these? i guess I have a few concerns, 1) if they will rattle at highway speeds, 2) if mud will get between the skin and the wheel bad enough to break them, and 3) if they will fit tight enough to the wheel to look right (meaning like it is the wheel, not some cheap chunk of plastic slapped on to cover something ugly).

the other option is to have the tires removed (which has its own risk), have them sand blasted, powder coated, balanced, and put back on the truck. but, at this time, it's the only vehicle we have that will move under its own power, and is safe to drive.

2. tommudd

tommudd Moderator Staff Member Moderator

At 75 foot or 50 MPH they will look fine ;)
    as far as mud getting in them, sure it will
    just sand your wheels down, and paint them, 2-3 cans of paint and a few hours and done

Doing10to20 likes this.
  3. kejobe

kejobe Full Access Member

Those are for steel wheels, which, if you have, would be black or possibly silver from the factory. But they would work if your wheels are the same style. If you have alloys, no they will not work.

As far as durability, who knows how well they'd do. I'd venture to guess, not so well.

Personally I'd repaint them as tommudd said.

Doing10to20 likes this.
  4. XWrench3

XWrench3 New Member

the wheels on my truck were painted silver from the factory. when they painted them black, they never even took the weights off the rim. so now there are silver spot(s) on each wheel, where the old weights were.

5. Craigo

Craigo Member

I have those on my steel rims and they fit good and tight with no rattles. My rims were crappy looking with light rust and patchy paint and it was a quick fix. They don't stick out and are still tight at 70 plus MPH, these are now my spare wheels as I have Cherokee rims now.

20200804_185146.jpg

6. XWrench3

XWrench3 New Member

Thanks Craigo, that's exactly what i was looking for. an honest real world experience review. come payday, I will pull the trigger on a set. :) p.s. I like the Cherokee wheels as well. when i get a set of them, i will put street tires on them, and mud tires on the original Liberty wheels.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020 at 10:56 AM