Wheel questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Duster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have stock steel wheels which I think are 16x7. I haven't taken one off to try to measure backspacing etc. I got confused right away with there being backspace and offset in mm.

All I grasp is simple things like say 16x7 with 4" backspace would mean 4" in and 3" out from the back of the hub face of the wheel if it's 7"

Like I say though I haven't taken one off but I am going to guess 4" or 5"?

Will a 16x7 wheel with 4" backspacing, +0mm offset, 83 hub bore work?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Stock wheels are 7 inches wide with 5 inches of backspacing
16X7 with 4 inches of backspacing works great when lifted

Duster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK thank you.

So does those wheel specs just mean it's a wheel the same diameter and width, but will stick out 1" further since it is 4" backspaced rather than the stock 5" ?

I don't have a lift. So moving the tire/wheel outwards 1" is just going to cause rubbing?

I am not an anti-lift guy. I would actually like to talk myself into it so I'd have more tire choices. But I literally never need to be higher off the ground. The only thing that has ever hit for me is my drop ball hitch. And that is because I backed off a concrete driveway that had a culvert running under it and the Jeep was cocked up with 2 wheels off the ground and the hitch into the concrete. One front and one rear up in the air. I thought dang I am going to have to call a tow truck. But I put it in 4x4. The traction control kicked in. It seems to grab the brake on the sides that are in the air? That's what it sounds like anyways. Crawled right out. Everything else I have ever owned would have just sat there with the ones in the air spinning.

Anyways, I just have never really had a need for a lift. And I get in and out of it so many times a day I just couldn't imagine. My driver seat is already destroyed as it is. Need to head to the bone yard and find a seat one day when I have time.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Unlifted and any sag at all will cause issues with running any type of wheel not being stock specs
As far as lifts go, for example my 05, I have to keep it close to stock to haul my Elderly Mother around, but I wanted a much better ride and handling on the road,
So went with OME 925 / 947 combo with Bilsteins which only gave a little over an inch over new stock height
So lifting is not always " to be higher off the ground " just way better than the gosh awful stock suspension
of course still limits me to close to stock wheels etc