What's Missing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigfella

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I just bought my KJ about two weeks ago. I wanted to start a thread to see what everyone thinks is missing or could be done better on the stock KJ model. Coming from an XJ, I really really would like to have an Oil Pressure Guage. It would be nice if they added two gauges, oil pressure and trans temp. I hate the "idiot" lights. Usuaully by the time they come on it's too late. Especially in the case of the Oil Pressure. Those guages saved me from losing an engine or being stranded a couple of times in other vehicles.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
a few people added Oil Pressure and Voltage gauges to their KJ's.
Missing....
grip on the stock tires.... \:D/

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil gauge would be nice. That takes me back... Now they hide that stuff.

I have been thinking about adding another KJ to the family next year, being a stripped down Sport, or maybe the stripped down Sport CRD? But then with the options, it's hard to keep it stripped. Dang I love my Limited with all it's bells and whistles, and the leather seats with seat warmers. L-U-X-U-R-Y! I am glad that my KJ still has the old lever for pulling it into 4x4. I would not want just a button on the dash.

SiLveRLiB2k2 said:
a few people added Oil Pressure and Voltage gauges to their KJ's.
Missing....
grip on the stock tires.... \:D/

I am waiting for snow to find out if the stock tires are really as bad as some say. So far I have not hydroplaned, or caused a wreck while it's raining. :-s

jackie said:

Jackie would really rule the road then! \:D/ It would be nice to see a stock WK offered with the HEMI.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rear seat lights (now on 05's), better tires, tow hooks on all models, skid plates on all models, and the guages, im going to add those some day, its not that hard to do if u know what ur doing, alot of ppl have done it.

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most everything I can think of has been said. The lack of lighting particularly in the read is a shortcoming. The rear seats dont fold down entirely flat. Extra gagues would be nice... as you said, oil pressure would be a good one to add....but I doubt I'll ever take the time to add them.

Having said all that, I'm really happy with my KJ. I've done some work to it, and will do some more, to make it more gooder.

Oh, and Welcome to the world of IFS! :) Seriously tho, glad to see ya here.

-Blu

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to have a recirculation feature for all modes of the climate control, rather than just max a/c. Heard that has been corrected for '05, but don't know for sure yet. Also needs an aux input for the iPod, which I have now added. I agree with Blu as well, I wish the rear seats folded flat, would come in handy from time to time. I also wish for a ****** skid, but I believe that has been corrected for the 05's, at least I think I read that somewhere on here. At any rate, as far as I can tell, all of my complaints about the KJ are minor, or easily corrected, so I am a happy camper. \:D/

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yoda13 said:
I would like to have a recirculation feature for all modes of the climate control, rather than just max a/c. Heard that has been corrected for '05, but don't know for sure yet. Also needs an aux input for the iPod, which I have now added. I agree with Blu as well, I wish the rear seats folded flat, would come in handy from time to time. I also wish for a ****** skid, but I believe that has been corrected for the 05's, at least I think I read that somewhere on here. At any rate, as far as I can tell, all of my complaints about the KJ are minor, or easily corrected, so I am a happy camper. \:D/

Agree. Yes to recirculation on all modes. Yes to aux input for iPod.

I worry with the back seats down that the head rests rub against the leather seats, like it's going to streatch the leather on the back of the front seats. Anyone know if the rear head rests come off? I've never pulled on them. I don't know if Jeep has them fixed for safety reasons?

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
grogiefrog said:
Anyone know if the rear head rests come off? I've never pulled on them. I don't know if Jeep has them fixed for safety reasons?

Yes, they do come off.

And I agree with the air recirculation as well, tho it's not so big a deal for me.

-Blu

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BluPhant said:
grogiefrog said:
Anyone know if the rear head rests come off? I've never pulled on them. I don't know if Jeep has them fixed for safety reasons?

Yes, they do come off.

-Blu

Cool. I thought Jeep might have them fixed so that no one sues if someone gets their neck hurt because of it not being there. Law suits make companies do crazy things!

Emoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always take off my rear headrests so I get a better view in the rearview mirror.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can see when I travel that I will need to have one of the seats down for luggage room. So I'll just take off the rest then. But if I should have back seat passangers, their a good thing to have.

Emoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I suppose you could stow them under the seats, but I just keep mine in the garage. I don't carry a lot of people in the back seat, and as far as I'm concerned, having better visibility adds more to my overall safety than rear seat headrests do. People ride with me at their own risk! O:)

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Note to self, never get in a KJ with Emoto 8-[