Whats leaking on your kj?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or better yet, whats not leaking? Ive not been around much lately, life is keeping me busy. So, whats leaking on your kj? It seems that chrysler doesnt know whats going on when it comes to seals. Currently i have 3 jeeps sitting in my driveway and all 3 are leaking.

The 94 zj has a leaking rear main, has most of its life. Its getting so bad thats its showing up on the dipstick so im ordering parts to fix that this week. The ****** output was allowing ****** fluid to actually pool up on the ground so i replaced the ****** output seal. And of course the valve cover seeps. Its been replaced but with cheap cork.

The 98 5.9 has a very minor leaking rear main and the drivers side front axle seal is trying to leak. Its just a seep right now.

The kj is the worst of the 3 jeeps. Actually out of the 8 jeeps my family and friends drive its the worst one.

The kj has a leaking front pinion(been seeping for years), leaking rear pinion(starting to sling oil everywhere), seeping front main(oil is running back the oil pan, dont think its the timing cover), both valve covers are seeping, and the power steering hose was seeping before i replaced it. The ****** pan drips once and a while but that one is my fault. I tried to use a gasket, that didnt work. Tcase output is seeping but its hardly noticeable. Jeep has 84,000 miles and had one of the cleanest under bodies in town.

02blue

Comfortably numb
Reaction score
Wow, I don't feel so bad now. My 02 (157k) has a few leaks but not as bad as your fleet. Just replaced the radiator and hoses today. Rear pinion has leaked for 70k. I just keep checking and filling. Trans pan always leaks a bit with gasket or with RTV. Finally bought a new Mopar pan and bolts, think the old may be distorted from many changes and questionable torque. Power Steering leaks here and there, "valve" covers, and my replacement front drive shaft CV appears to be slinging some grease.

Guess it's not so bad since I'm pretty ******* the old Jeep.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
yep, 194,000 and no leaks , had to replace the rear pinion seal a while back but 20 minutes and its good
You have to take them out and run them and keep them lubed up!:waytogo:
Only 84,000 on your KJ no wonder its leaking,:icon_rolleyes:
it wants to be driven :rockit:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had a couple of leaks when the pig was new. Rear pinion and passenger side cv. Both minor and both fixed and no leaks since.........knock on wood...LOL

Dave

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a leaky rear output on the tcase fixed that and all dry. I had some oil leakage that seaped down to the bottom of the bell housing. Wiped it off and havent seen it in a while. Leaky ****** pan thatll get fixed eventually. And thats all i can think of off the top of my head

Sent from my iPhone using the power of children's laughter

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guess I'm one of the lucky ones. Nothing leaking on mine either

Sent from my HTC One using the power of Mary's purse

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang tom, cant believe youve got it up to 194k. Any issues with it other than normal things? I really like my ol kj, i'd like to keep it for along time. Been driving the 94 zj to save miles on the kj. Mostly just drive the kj on trips and things. Ill drive it to work once a week or so.

Ol zj gets around 22mpg while the kj stuggles to get 18mpg. Saves gas too. Zj has 201,000 on it and chugs right along, nice low end torque too.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My KJ has 118k on it...so far so good. Knock on wood. Only leakage it's had is once the RTV failed on the rear diff. Oh and the rad/water pump. But those have all fixed for a long time. Knock on wood!

The LR3 has 102k on it....only leak it's had is the rear diff where the passenger side CV shaft connected. Got that replaced too before it became a drip on the floor.

The WK has 56k on it, nothing leaking to my knowledge on it.
JeepJeepster, do your parents still have that red WK? I've seen in the old detailing threads haha!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Dang tom, cant believe youve got it up to 194k. Any issues with it other than normal things? I really like my ol kj, i'd like to keep it for along time. Been driving the 94 zj to save miles on the kj. Mostly just drive the kj on trips and things. Ill drive it to work once a week or so.

Ol zj gets around 22mpg while the kj stuggles to get 18mpg. Saves gas too. Zj has 201,000 on it and chugs right along, nice low end torque too.

No real issues heck even with over 4 inches of lift I just replaced the original left side CV at 192,000 miles. Highway it averages 21.5-22 on good "summer" gas, 18-19 around town. Uses no oil between changes, I can see 275-300,000 miles easy enough. Still will burn the rear tires on take off and shifts great at 5200 RPMs :waytogo:
Remember Chris with the 03 black one, he hit 225,000 here a while back and besides buying cheap radiators his is doing pretty good as well

martin_metal_88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
most seal where replaced when I bought tesla, seems it's easier to negociate work instead of money, so I have noticed no leak so far and the yearly inspection done 3 week ago found nothing. Only thing leaking in the KJ is my wallet :D

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, still got the 06 wk. pretty sure it has 74,000 on it. Seems to do great, front pinion is leaking on it. Has been for some time now.

Yeah, 4:10 gears would be pretty amazing. I had the stock 235/65/17 tires on it last summer and it would get 21-22mpg consistantly. With the moab rims and 245/70/16 tires it drops pretty quick. Low end torque, well, doesnt exist. Cant afford to regear, more so with the whole problems of finding front gears.

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I go through front axle seals about every 25k miles. I am on my third driver side one. T case seeps a little bit. The rear diff is seeping a little around one of the bolt holes on the cover; must have been a little sloppy with the rtv last fluid change. Thats about it.

The ol lady's Chrysler mini van is another story. Just about everything that can leak, weep, or seep pretty much is.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yup, still got the 06 wk. pretty sure it has 74,000 on it. Seems to do great, front pinion is leaking on it. Has been for some time now.

Yeah, 4:10 gears would be pretty amazing. I had the stock 235/65/17 tires on it last summer and it would get 21-22mpg consistantly. With the moab rims and 245/70/16 tires it drops pretty quick. Low end torque, well, doesnt exist. Cant afford to regear, more so with the whole problems of finding front gears.

Not hard to find the front gears. heck I have an extra set of fronts in the garage right now, we just installed a used low mileage factory front and rear 4.10 diffs in TwoBobsKJs on Thursday. They are still out there.
If I took all of the spare parts/ tools/ heavy skids, bumpers etc off of mine it may get another 5 mpg :icon_rolleyes::waytogo:

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Mine has had leaks... you just fix them. 250K-ish miles so far, and wouldn't have gotten that far if we hadn't have fixed them.

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KEEP UP ON YOUR OIL LEAKS! i had a tiny oil leak for like a year then i checked it once, and a week later i spun a bearing from lack of oil! it must have started leaking a ton more in that one week