What's kicking around in your Jeep?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

okiestate_gal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was going through my Jeep the other day making sure I have the stuff I need in there and wondered what everyone else considers "necessary" for their Libby. Thinking mostly along the lines of 4x4/offroading vehicles, but all comments welcome! Can also be interpreted as- what items of interest are in your Jeep right now?

My '02 has a chain, basic mechanic tool kit, rope, cam buckle straps, bungee cords, first aid kit, jumper cables, tarp, rags, empty feed sacks to be used as a small tarp, emergency food (bag of jerky), can of bug spray, misc knives & flashlights. Hope to add a flashlight mount & stronger flashlight as well as better first aid kit soon.

Misc items of interest- 1.5 gal gas can, 3/4 full, on my roof rack and a shovel too. 2 full cases of Red Bull & a kids booster seat.

A just for fun thread. Enjoying the forum!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Full set of tools to basically rebuild a KJ, battery powered drill etc , ratchet straps
spare parts , belts, hoses, idler pulley , oil, trans fluid , diff fluid, spark plugs etc etc
small ax , jumper cables, 30 foot tow strap, d rings, water, HOAT antifreeze , MOPAR thermostat and a whole bunch of other parts etc under, in, between etc
Every now and again I even find parts I did not know I had in there :happy175:

lot more things in there but don't keep a list like some do

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ha ha.....I just cleaned mine out because I needed the room to carry some stuff. Then I just cleaned it so it is empty and clean. But there is a pile of stuff on the garage floor that needs to get put back in.

Tools, off-road bag full of stuff like recovery straps and tow straps, shackle, most of the stuff Tommudd listed. I also carry a floor jack because the OEM jack won't lift my KJ high enough to change a tire and some wooden blocks. 4-way lug wrench. I also carry a compressor for airing up. Back pack full of misc gear including change of clothes, flashlight, knives, first aid kit, etc. Also keep a fire extinguisher in the jeep. But all of this stuff is on the garage floor right now.....LOL

Dave

Rsb563

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Full set of tools to basically rebuild a KJ, battery powered drill etc , ratchet straps
spare parts , belts, hoses, idler pulley , oil, trans fluid , diff fluid, spark plugs etc etc
small ax , jumper cables, 30 foot tow strap, d rings, water, HOAT antifreeze , MOPAR thermostat and a whole bunch of other parts etc under, in, between etc
Every now and again I even find parts I did not know I had in there :happy175:

lot more things in there but don't keep a list like some do

Do you have a trailer?? Lol

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now. How many have all their stuff secured in so in case of an accident or role over.you don't get a 100 pound tool chest to the back of the head.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Now. How many have all their stuff secured in so in case of an accident or role over.you don't get a 100 pound tool chest to the back of the head.

All of mine is, either under seats ( secured ) or strapped down in the back with ratchet straps etc

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow okay cool I'm not the only one carrying around 150lbs worth of tools in the back of my liberty!! :D

Anyways, standing behind my jeep in the driveway to type this. This is all in my trunk.

Every tool I could need for anything inside a toolbox plus..
2 BMH.. 4-way tire iron, breaker bars, scan tool, dvom, wiring supplies (trust me you never know..), U-Joints, ignition coils, shorter belt, Chains and towstraps, plus an assortment of ratchet straps and bungee cords.
2 Painting drop-cloths (good for laying under your jeep wherever the time calls for) A bed sheet, 2 winter coats and 2 sweatshirts, 4 pairs of winter gloves and 2 pairs of summer gloves, 2 pair of summer gloves. Electrical tape and duct tape. Hammer nails and some paintbrushes.
Hoat coolant, atf, and oil. Kitty litter and a couple small pieces of wood.
A spotlight, 3 fishing rods, 3 rain ponchos, 2 ice packs, a box of hand warmers, my trailer hitch, ball joint press, ball joint remover, tie rod end puller. My fishing tackle box, hip waders, rubber boots, box of bandaids, nieces fishing boots and a fishing net.

Everything has its purpose and place. Nothing moves or makes noise as long as it's in its place.. well once in awhile a fishing pole will, but usually only if I set it in the wrong place. And no.....nothing is technically secured for a rollover..

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score

I need to do this........

Dave

okiestate_gal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting some good ideas here... drop cloth I like it. tommudd, any room for passengers? ;)

Only 123k on my KJ so haven't been too concerned about major breakdowns. Anyways, I have only limited mechanical skills so tools may not help me anyways. Thank God for cell phones. Like to keep the back open for hauling stuff if needed, never know what kind of treasure you'll come across. Feed sacks still fit back there too, though not as nicely as in a pickup.

Have seen "hoat coolant" more than once- what is this?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Getting some good ideas here... drop cloth I like it. tommudd, any room for passengers? ;)

Only 123k on my KJ so haven't been too concerned about major breakdowns. Anyways, I have only limited mechanical skills so tools may not help me anyways. Thank God for cell phones. Like to keep the back open for hauling stuff if needed, never know what kind of treasure you'll come across. Feed sacks still fit back there too, though not as nicely as in a pickup.

Have seen "hoat coolant" more than once- what is this?

Still room for 5 inside , plus whatever Jeep or Harley parts I can dig up cheap.
HOAT is the " official " name of the coolant we need to use in the KJs , not name brand but type.
I carry as much extra as I can to help others, not repair mine

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tow straps, hitch receiver & balls, big wrench for same, air compressor, socket set and a few other assorted tools, ponchos, waterproof matches, vehicle utility thing with glassbreaker, first aid kit, old IAC and TPS (those are to take to my BIL) and coil, oil and ATF.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a small crate in the cargo area w/ gallon of DI water, quart of ATF+4, quart of oil, air compressor, compact foldable shovel, disposable gloves, gloves, ratchet straps, forearm moving straps, zip ties, garbage bags, towel, cheapy HF tool kit, old newspaper, coleman camp axe, TP, tissue paper, bunch of HF LED flash lights (the blue free one), poncho, extra long jumper cables, cheapy DMM.
Also have 3x roadside emergency triangles. a couple of free HF tarps. That's all i can remember.

On the P/S rear cargo net, fuses, cigarette lighter inverter, analog and digital tire gauge.

Under D/S seat: reflector vest and poncho

Under P/S seat: first aid kit + fire starting kit.

Under D/S rear seat: micro fiber towels, flip flops, a sweater

D/S and P/S seat railing, between seat and door: HF flash light(blue free one), HF combo triangle red hazard+flash light. yeah for magnets.

D/S and P/S door: combo flash light, red hazard light, window breaker, seat belt cutter.

I really need to strap the cargo crap down as advised. I think I'll get some HF bungee cords.

I think most of us act like scouts or are/were scouts.

"Be prepared"

Last edited:

okiestate_gal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HOAT is the " official " name of the coolant we need to use in the KJs , not name brand but type.
I carry as much extra as I can to help others, not repair mine

Hmmm, special coolant? Suppose that's why I had to replace the radiator, radiator reservoir and all spark plugs due to being drowned in antifreeze when I bought my unit? Interesting. Wonder if the shop I used put the right kind in it. Any way to tell if it's the right stuff? Just ask em?

I'm not totally mechanically challenged, just for the record. Did the spark plugs myself but didn't have time for the radiator. Also I guess there was a bunch of crud they had to flush out of the lines.

okiestate_gal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you use your available space efficiently, uss2defiant! Need to get some of the reflectors myself. I like visibility in emergencies.

Trying to find a spot to hang an extra ball cap somewhere. Anyone know of any hooks to mount up high in the cargo area? Or maybe a strong magnet would stick ...

okiestate_gal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, seems like an air compressor is a good thing to add to my want list. Any brand / type better than others?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have everything but the kitchen sink,not joking either.

Every single tool required to completely disassemble the KJ,more recovery gear then needed,first aid,fire extinguisher,spare parts(hoses,belt,tensioner,u-joints,lock-outs,coils,plugs,ARB air line repair kit,and much more),fluids,rags,brake cleaner,RTV,scrap 2x4's,1500 watt inverter,blankets,jacket,spare cloths,tarps,trash bags,3 sources of on board air(2 ARB compressors and a PowerTank),Snap on 1/2" cordless impact,torque wrench,electrical repair and spare parts,Power Probe III,amp clamp,Autel MaxiSys MS906BT scanner,tire plug kit,2 jacks,Jumpstart pack,jumper cables,and that's just in the back of the KJ,I really don't remember what I all have in my 2 tool boxes bolted to the roof.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, seems like an air compressor is a good thing to add to my want list. Any brand / type better than others?

An MV50 would be not too pricey and work good. They hook up right to the battery with positive and negative clips. A Viair would be better but pricey. You want something that hooks right to the battery for more power.

Dave

Latest posts

Members online