Whats a good life for snow and extreme cold weather?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

akkj

Reaction score
I was just wondering what you guys recommend for a lift in extreme cold weather (-40) I am stationed in Alaska right now and want to do a lift but dont want something that is gonna be horrible driving on snow and ice most of the year. If anyone is in the Anchorage area get a hold of me. Thanks

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont believe a lift will change anything with driving in snow. The franken lift, rustys, ome are all good lifts and would work fine for you driving in snow. Tires are what would change the snow driving.

4Factor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, there is something you should look into in, regards to cold weather, when changing the suspension (lift) on your vehicle. I have a 97 neon, and when I used to race it on track, I had it changed to a full coil over suspension (height/damping adjustable). The car is (and always was) my daily driver so it has to be liveable too. The suspension is stiff, and works as expected in the warm weather, but in the cold weather (Canadian winter) it's rock solid, even with the damping dialled all the way to soft. I've understood it to be the oil that's in the struts, it gets WAY too thick in the colder weather, and with the increased damping (ie, smaller valve for the oil to flow through) somedays it's like having no suspension at all. So when you're looking for a new setup, be aware of the oil and damping of the struts/shocks, you may find the ride way too harsh and end up regretting your choice.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^, lol perfect!

I think most of the shocks that come with rustys, ome, and the franken lift are nitro charged, no oil. I may be wrong though. :-s

LibertyCRD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mattracks would do it. but for the price of those you could buy another jeep. LOL. :-s

my lift seemed to make the ride quality better than stock. no kidding. i really like it.

kolesy

Reaction score
Yeah man just look for a gas charged shock and strut combo. The rusty's 2.5" suspension lift comes with them, no oil!!!