What to do, what to do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i have some money laying around(how weird), and i really dont know what to do with it. Its around $1600. I could do anything to my jeep that i ever wanted to do, (lift, rims, tires, and skids), but thats not what i really want right now, im a collage kid and would never have time to do any off roading. Then my dad comes in and says that it would roll over alot easier, but hes not saying that i cant do it, just that he would be more worried. I think i might just wait until i get out of collage to lift it, when its alittle older, its only a year and half old right now. Im really wanting to put an MTX 12' thunder 7500 in it with an MTX thunder 400watt amp. I think that would sound great myself, and that would only be around $500. Ive already put my hitch on it which i love(draw tite), my vent visors, my hella 500 lights, and im getting it tinted next week. Im just so confused. lol im just venting.

2003KJ

Reaction score
well if I were a college kid like you, i'd be flat out amazed that i had that much money....lol. If I were you i'd save it. You never know if something might break on the Jeep and require money to fix it.

krazz1e

Reaction score
GET THE LIFT & TIRES! It will ride BETTER than stock. Plus look cooler and when the time comes you can wheel it!

Sound is nice and all, but you can really only crank it so loud until your ears start to bleed.

my .02 cents not worth much =D>

$420 coil lift
$650 Good tires
-------
$1070

Save the rest!

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
krazz1e said:
Sound is nice and all, but you can really only crank it so loud until your ears start to bleed.

lol thats funny.

What does a lift do to the towing. Will it cause it to sag when i tow our boat, it dosent sag at all right now, i can bearly tell its back there.

krazz1e

Reaction score
Towing will be the same as it is, tow alot over a long period of time, yeah more stress on the springs they will wear out quicker. If you tow really heavy stuff you could get heavy duty springs from OME, the ride would be really stiff though.

Don't be afaird you won't regreat it. Just do it right the first time and get a good lift not a hack job.

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same situation

I'm a college guy with the same situation, I'm going to have a little bit of money laying around after my internship. I'm either going to put all in the Jeep, all in a nice HDTV before football season kicks off, or some in the Jeep and some on a decent TV. I don't want to do anything too dramatic to the Jeep, nothing to void the warranty, I just hit 11,000 miles. I could care less about a sound system. And I'm going to hold off on the lift, intake and exhaust. But I've got to buy something before it all gets spent at the bar, and I've got to buy all my toys before my girlfriend 'CON'vinces me into getting her a ring.

My thoughts are:

1. Mud flaps, tow hooks, skid plates (not OEM), light bar and/or rear air deflector. A light over the rear seat, and courtesy lights in the floor.

2. TrailReady front and rear bumpers.

3. Buy a MIG welder and weld up a roof basket. I still haven't found one to my liking.

4. I was also thinking about doing so mods to the rear after I throw my spare up top. I hate the way the rear swings open. I might try to figure out how to convert it to a tailgate style, and still have my glass open up. Of course some work would have to be done where the tire mount is and something would have to be done about the tire cutout in the bumper. (Another excuse to buy one from TrailReady).

Let me know what you guys think.

jeepmed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
krazz1e said:
GET THE LIFT & TIRES! It will ride BETTER than stock. Plus look cooler and when the time comes you can wheel it!

my .02 cents not worth much =D>

$420 coil lift
$650 Good tires
-------
$1070

Save the rest!

I also agree with Krazzle. Enjoy some of the money and save the rest.

kegjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im still in college, and i have about 5k lying around. I'm starting to think maybe I should do something to me jeep...hehe.

habitTrail

Reaction score
What to do

Here's my .02

1) I like 2003KJ's advice to save the money because you never know when you might need it for repairs or emergencies.

2) You won't have time to go off-road anyway, so I agree, wait awhile. If you took advice #1, the money will still be there.

3) If you’ve just got to have the sounds, go for it, but get something that will last for the long haul. At least when you trade the KJ, you can transfer the sound stuff to your next vehicle. Remember, most of what you spend on add-ons, you will not be able to get back at trade-in time. And, the vehicle value could be less than if you had done nothing to it at all. Some people are leery of lifted vehicles with oversize tires and other mods.

Good luck with your studies. Concentrate on that for now.

I will get off my soap box now.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
save the money, really save it, if you can live without it now, then go on living w/o it.

it's good to have cash whenever you need it, and that money you have may come in handy

splurge a little bit of it, but keep at least a good portion of it

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
well if I were a college kid like you, i'd be flat out amazed that i had that much money....lol. If I were you i'd save it. You never know if something might break on the Jeep and require money to fix it.

I agree with Tim. Someday $1600 won't be enough for what you want to do, and you'll wish that you had been more careful with your money and had 10 or 20k in the bank.

n3qik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put in into a 6 month CD. Then that way if you really need it, its there.

I have a house, just got the tax bill. Up $600.00 from last year and we still have not started to build the new high school. Found out next year it will go up again another $600.00+. :-({|= :-({|=

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
n3qik said:
I have a house, just got the tax bill. Up $600.00 from last year and we still have not started to build the new high school. Found out next year it will go up again another $600.00+. :-({|= :-({|=

Sounds like you don't care about the children.

threadjacked.gif

J/K. A neighbor one day was complaining about having to buy her kids books (just like in college, which is required in my district unless the family can't really afford them). I said to her, "So would you prefer that I pay for your kids books?" She didn't have an answer for me, but I bet that she did.

The great thing about property taxes is if you can't pay them, the county takes your land. So who really owns the property I ask?

dnm45227

Reaction score
Don't get me started on school funding.
1. We pay property tax
2. We pay school fees
3. We pay for kids to participate in extracaricular activities (football, etc..)
4. We have a lottery, to fund the school statewide
and
5. I have to buy pencils, tissues, etc.. for a communal supply closet.

I really feel for the guys that pay and don't have kids.
I have a friend that is married to a teacher. I ran down my list of gripes, he just started laighing. When I inquired what was so funny, he just said "man do you know jow long it's been since I had to by Kleenex".

n3qik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shit, what did I start.

My point was/is put the money away for a rainy day. Get out of school and hope for a good or better job if you have one now. Then spend some money on your toys.

grogiefrog
Yes I do care about the kids, with this new school they will have it better that me and thats good.

dnm45227
I do not have any kids, thank God for that!!! I prefer the 4 legged ones, cheaper to keep.

2003KJ

Reaction score
dnm45227 said:
Don't get me started on school funding.
1. We pay property tax
2. We pay school fees
3. We pay for kids to participate in extracaricular activities (football, etc..)
4. We have a lottery, to fund the school statewide
and
5. I have to buy pencils, tissues, etc.. for a communal supply closet.

I really feel for the guys that pay and don't have kids.
I have a friend that is married to a teacher. I ran down my list of gripes, he just started laighing. When I inquired what was so funny, he just said "man do you know jow long it's been since I had to by Kleenex".

I don't have any kids. But I still have to pay ALL those taxes for the school system. The superintendant is corrupted. He's magnatized the 3 main high schools in my town (meaning one school is strictly performing arts, the other a technology school, and the 3rd a multi-cultural school). He says it's all about easing the over crowding of one (which happens to be across the street from my neighborhood). BULL CRAP! One of the schools is in a horrible area and it's all about uping the image of that area. So they threw the kids into a lottery system and make them choose which school they want to go to. Yes even the kids in my neighborhood who can open the front door and see the friggin school they are districted to go to. So many parents are mad in my neighborhood. That was the whole point of them moving in here. So they couldn't get mixed up in all this moving bull and now they are. And if their first choice is already full, tuff shit, they get what ever is left.

Speaking of lottery, we DO NOT have a state lottery. Which is why my taxes keep going up and up in order for the school board to have fatter paychecks at the end of the week.

</rant> lol

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
n3qik said:
grogiefrog
Yes I do care about the kids, with this new school they will have it better that me and thats good.

That was just a joke!

I spent the last two-years of high-school at a private school. The tuition there was 53% of what the public schools was spending per student at the time ($2300 vs. $4300). And just take a guess at which one far out did the other in terms of getting a quality education? It wasn't the one that cost more if you are wondering. I worked my a** off for a C average, lol.

A test at that school was, "Take out five sheets of paper, and in the next 55 minutes tell me what you know in essay form."
"Essay form? What is that? Where are the true and false questions?"

It's interesting how people won't go down their own street and ask their neighbors to give them money, but we'll elect people that will do it for us.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
Speaking of lottery, we DO NOT have a state lottery. Which is why my taxes keep going up and up in order for the school board to have fatter paychecks at the end of the week.

</rant> lol

Last Saturday I was filling up the KJ. My wife was waiting inside and was watching a guy that walked out of the store with ten or so lottery tickets. He scratched them all off, didn't find any winners, and threw them away. He then went inside and walked out with another ten, and didn't win either. She commented to me when I was driving away that he didn't look like he should be spending his money that way. My comment to her was, "Do you think that he would be spending his money on his illegitimate children instead?" (biggrin)

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow, i never thought this thread would get to this, its more of a flame thread now, but idc. so far im saving as much money as i can. Ive got around 1000-1200 left, i got my windows tinted and this GF is taking my money left and right. I enjoy having money laying around, it makes me feel more prepared incase something happens.

n3qik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Boy did I open a can of worms. #-o #-o

Bet this gets moved to Off Topic soon.