What snow chains works best on KJ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vlad588

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m looking to get a set of snow chains for my 03 KJ (2.5” Lift) on 235/75/R16 cooper discoverer tires. Anyone has any experience with what snow chains work best on KJ for off-road use?

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Shouldn’t need chains off road other than certain winter applications. Good tires are always the first step.

however some prefer cable type. Others prefer cross weave chains and yet others prefer straight line chains.

some prefer cam tensioning and others prefer cable tensioning…

if you live in a place that has “chains required” areas in winter, your DOT website will tell what is required.

just do everyone a favor and remember there is a max speed limit when using chains or you are gonna need new well covers and fenders!

( oh the idiocy I have witnessed!)

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
I got a set (2 tires) of cable chains but I've never used them. I've used regular chain-link chains for years on pickups and vans but the jeep didn't seem to have enough wheelwell clearance for slinging chains around.

If I think I'm getting stuck I get out and play with the shovel a bit.

vlad588

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m looking for chains as extra traction off road during late season hunting. 95% of the they aren’t needed but sometimes a situation arises where chains can make the difference. I
Shouldn’t need chains off road other than certain winter applications. Good tires are always the first step.

however some prefer cable type. Others prefer cross weave chains and yet others prefer straight line chains.

some prefer cam tensioning and others prefer cable tensioning…

if you live in a place that has “chains required” areas in winter, your DOT website will tell what is required.

just do everyone a favor and remember there is a max speed limit when using chains or you are gonna need new well covers and fenders!

( oh the idiocy I have witnessed!)
You’re right most of the time chains aren’t needed. I’m thinking of them for extra traction for my late season hunts, where i might run into a lot of snow off road. I’m debating if i should go with cables or chains. I guess Liberties are fairly restricted on the chains you can put on them due to clearance.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
I’m looking for chains as extra traction off road during late season hunting. 95% of the they aren’t needed but sometimes a situation arises where chains can make the difference. I

You’re right most of the time chains aren’t needed. I’m thinking of them for extra traction for my late season hunts, where i might run into a lot of snow off road. I’m debating if i should go with cables or chains. I guess Liberties are fairly restricted on the chains you can put on them due to clearance.
Yeah! While I haven’t used mine in the winter yet, I picked up traction boards to go with my shovel for those snow covered back country “roads”.
personally, never been a fan of chains, though I have a pair of the cable type for when I’m in places they are required by law.

my general attitude on them is if I need chains, I shouldn’t be out driving in that ****!

Latest posts

Members online